Help needed with TOP 40 songs!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Help needed with TOP 40 songs!

Hey guys!!

I'm having a big problem right now. When I started DJing little over half year ago I decided that I would never play top 40 shit. And actually big reason for me even start DJing was that I wanted to change things in my local clubs and bars.

So I haven't played any gigs so far. But today I have a chat with a guy who knows about that stuff in my town a lot. And actually he said that he wants to help me with the start and get me gigs and stuff. But he said that there is no clubs that would take DJ that doesn't play TOP 40 shit.. And to be honest there isn't really going that much EDM stuff here. Only exception is that if some bigger DJ comes to town. Then he is allowed to do so. And actually then nobody is complaining.

Also guy said that he could help me with the special nights so I could play my own music. But that wouldn't be nowhere close that often. And then other problem is that if I play with TOP 40 songs I think it totally kills the vibe of trance music that I mostly play… I just think that there isn't a lot of pop songs that go well with progressive trance that I play… Also I would really hate to play that music.

But then.. I have really started to love DJing and this would be an awesome opportunity.. What should I do? Could you guys help me??

Tech Mentor

Do you want DJ'ing to be your bread and butter? Than play top 40 music.
    You want to DJ for fun and only what you like? Than rarely play but when you do, play the music you like

Tech Guru

The top 40 isn't as bad as people make out, that's a potential 40 new tracks every week (Although it averages out more around 5-7 here in the UK) and good songs will generally get into the 20-40 range without a huge marketing push behind them. The trick is to find ways to mix your personal tastes into the top 40 music, thereby people think you are "Proper sick DJ" and did a live remix. Which you kinda did but they don't realise it was actually two different songs.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Convert

I mean if you really hate it thaaaaat much, then don't do it.

but if you're just starting out and it's what will help you get more gigs , if you're willing to you're gonna have to sacrifice and play what they want. Eventually when you get known better around the area you could maybe do a night of the music you are actually passionate about.

I say do it

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help guys I will try to find a way to do it because this is what I rely want to do to get my bread and butter

(Commercial) Cheese pays the bills

But in saying that there are many styles of cheese and you just need to find one that works for you and your gigs. These days punters are open to left field remixes and mash-ups as long as they know the hook or vocal. I know I certainly push the boundaries every now and then!

Look for remixes of the top 40 stuff. Make mashups of top 40.

Sounds like if you want to dj in front of crowds where you live, that's really your only option. You can throw in an occasional song or two you like, but the bulk of it would have to be top 40.

Your job as a DJ is to get people dancing and having fun, which equates to playing for the most part what they want to hear in an environment like that.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    You want to DJ for fun and only what you like? Than rarely play but when you do, play the music you like
    After a long stint with doing "EDM" nights, I actually enjoy my Top 40 nights now. Top 40 is either insanely easy or hard as hell to mix, there's really no in-between. You can mash it back and forth at most places and nobody will really give a sh!te, or you can really get into working transitions, BPM changes, mashups, etc., and that's where the challenge/fun comes in. In fact now I can't stay at one genre for very long. If I stayed at 128 for 2 hours like I used to, I'd go insane.

EDIT: Sambo made a great point about making it your own. Typically I play a lot of thrashy electro remixes, trap remixes, etc. because that's just my style. I was mixing that stuff before I started mixing Top 40 on a regular basis. So not only am I happy doing my thing all night, the crowd knows the songs and can dance to them. Granted, you'll likely still have to play the Wobble
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 11-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    You CAN do both. I make a very decent living playing Top 40 and Indie/Alt gigs.
    I also play what I want at gigs and festivals usually playing dubby-disco/funk/hiphop stuff.

The 2 kinds of DJing are not mutually exclusive.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    You CAN do both. I make a very decent living playing Top 40 and Indie/Alt gigs.
    I also play what I want at gigs and festivals usually playing dubby-disco/funk/hiphop stuff.

The 2 kinds of DJing are not mutually exclusive.
    Sure you can do both, but not at the same time. And if you could only do alt/indie, would you still make enough? So not only can you do both, you actually need to do both...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast