Is 4GB of RAM enough? - Retina MacBook Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OS does not use 4GB, you can run Mavericks quite well on 2GB (like on my wife's MBP cos I'm too lazy to upgrade it, lol).

SSD in the new MacBooks (retina and Air) are upgradable down the track, although extremely expensive to do so, RAM is not.

If you can deal with the 128GB storage then either of the first 2 options will do the job, and if you think you really need 8GB of RAM then it's an extra $100. Oh yeah, I think your $1099 MBA comes with 4GB of RAM, not 8GB.

The MBA 13" or Retina at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 will give a decent amount of extra space, the Retina at normal 1280x800 might look all sharp and clean, but it's actually giving you less workspace (total pixels) than your old 11" Air.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    If you are looking for screen space, 15 inch is best. Trust me them 2 inches make all the difference (that's what she said)

But I am sure 13 inches will be fine. As for RAM, I use 4GB and it runs fine. RAM comes in handy when you are exporting/rendering files in DAW's, but as from the description you have provided above, 4GB RAM will be fine with 2.3GHz CPU. So 2nd option will be your best bet. However, if you like to do anything else for example 3D doing the kind of shit that Pixar does... You'll need some RAM I hope my info was helpful.
    Yes, very helpful, thanks! I'm not looking for more than 13" at the moment. This laptop is solely for DJing ... so only for running Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Mixed in Key, and surfing for tracks in Beatport Pro and online.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    One Answers the other

Exactly, Traktor is Comfortable to use with 4gb Currently (or even 2gb with an SSD as its Virtual Memory is a bucketload faster than HDD).

But who know what new Effects or Features might be introduced in the next versions which may increase the minimum required Computer specs past the 4GB mark. Personally I would not buy a new computer with less than 8GB.
    Traktor ran without any lag on my 11" MacBook Air, so I'm sure the Retina MacBook Pro is more than capable. I managed to check out a friend's laptop (Retina MacBook Pro / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD) and Mavericks eats about 1.86GB of RAM when idle, but handles memory management and recycling much better than previous versions of OSX. I had to open every single application he had in his Applications folder (iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband, Safari, App Store, etc.) and only then did it get slightly sluggish.

With Traktor running, RAM usage shoots up to about 2.6 - 2.8GB. Taking this into account, in terms of future effects and features, I don't think 4GB will be a significant issue. Essentially, I want to get at least 2 - 3 years out of the Mac that I'm buying. Will 4GB of RAM allow me to achieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    OS does not use 4GB, you can run Mavericks quite well on 2GB (like on my wife's MBP cos I'm too lazy to upgrade it, lol).

SSD in the new MacBooks (retina and Air) are upgradable down the track, although extremely expensive to do so, RAM is not.

If you can deal with the 128GB storage then either of the first 2 options will do the job, and if you think you really need 8GB of RAM then it's an extra $100. Oh yeah, I think your $1099 MBA comes with 4GB of RAM, not 8GB.

The MBA 13" or Retina at 1440x900 or 1680x1050 will give a decent amount of extra space, the Retina at normal 1280x800 might look all sharp and clean, but it's actually giving you less workspace (total pixels) than your old 11" Air.
    I'm typing this from my MacBook Air (2GB RAM) running Mavericks and it's not an issue at all. In terms of storage, I'm extremely picky with buying music, so I don't require much on-board storage at all. You're right about resolution, but with the 1280x800 there is quite a bit of blur in Traktor when you look carefully as it's not retina-optimised. I'll most likely be running Traktor at 1440x900.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I don't think 4GB will be a significant issue.
    Will 4GB of RAM allow me to achieve this?
    Essentially, I want to get at least 2 - 3 years out of the Mac that I'm buying.
    With the current version of Traktor, no it won't be any issue, but we can't predict the future (which is where I personally tend to look).

Tech Mentor

My advice is to go with the 8GB option simply because the RAM is not upgradeable in these models. I went with the 8GB, but was really going back and forth about getting 16. But, to be fair, I'm a sys admin and a bit of a "power user", and my machine has multiple functions.

4 GB will be plenty, but as we are about to enter 2014, 4 GB is really becoming more and more of a low-end/budget option.

(And no, whomever said that "the OS uses 4GB" is mistaken... your machine will run and play just fine if you do decide to stick with 4 gig.)

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    One Answers the other

Exactly, Traktor is Comfortable to use with 4gb Currently (or even 2gb with an SSD as its Virtual Memory is a bucketload faster than HDD).

But who know what new Effects or Features might be introduced in the next versions which may increase the minimum required Computer specs past the 4GB mark. Personally I would not buy a new computer with less than 8GB.
    The biggest benefit with more memory is that it loads faster. I upgraded recently and it's the only real noticeable change for Traktor. It's night and day with web browsing and other stuff, though.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Another vote for 8GB if you can swing it, especially since you'll likely be running newer versions of OSX which likes to a lot more RAM than previous versions. 4GB WILL work, but if you're trying to future proof for a few years I think it makes sense to at least get a machine that's currently up to spec and not slightly behind the curve on day one.

Tech Mentor

Add my vote to the 8GB too. Even if Traktor/DJ related activities is the only think you'll be using it for, like others have said, you never know when or if apps will update their requirements for RAM.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread/...art=0&tstart=0 I've came across a few articles like this in my research. So I feel there has to be a little truth to it most likely. Maybe someone more knowledgable on RAM can set us straight for sure. Basically it is saying if page outs are more then 10% of page ins after a few days use then you would benefit from more RAM. You can find this info in the activity monitor app under the Utilities folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Landsnark View Post
    My advice is to go with the 8GB option simply because the RAM is not upgradeable in these models. I went with the 8GB, but was really going back and forth about getting 16. But, to be fair, I'm a sys admin and a bit of a "power user", and my machine has multiple functions.

4 GB will be plenty, but as we are about to enter 2014, 4 GB is really becoming more and more of a low-end/budget option.
    I'm struggling with the same as you did. I know 8 GB for me would be great for the next few years, but I hate wondering if I'll need a 16 GB down the road. But at the same time, why spend the extra if I'm never gonna need it. I'm not a power user really, but do like to keep the option open of using Final Cut or Logic in the future. Also, I do wonder about apps requiring a bit more RAM then nowdays. I admit I'm a fan of many Apple products, but not a fan of soldered components. You're still ok with you're decision to go w/ 8GB?

Tech Mentor

So far I haven't been bothered by it. 8 gig is still 8 gig and it trucks right along.

The other thing that did help me with the decision is the realization that Macbooks hold their value fairly well, so the option for me to sell this one and get a 16GB model is still there.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Another vote for 8GB if you can swing it, especially since you'll likely be running newer versions of OSX which likes to a lot more RAM than previous versions. 4GB WILL work, but if you're trying to future proof for a few years I think it makes sense to at least get a machine that's currently up to spec and not slightly behind the curve on day one.
    Aaaand another +1 on the 8 GB option.

Definitely go for 8gb. It will matter down the road.
    I'm in the process of buying a 15" rmbp and the only thing that bothers me is the 16gigs of ram. I already am maxing out on my video projects on my desktop with 32gb...
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast