iTunes 9: a god send for multiple computers and libraries
    Tech Guru

Default iTunes 9: a god send for multiple computers and libraries

Hello everyone, just picked up on this awesome feature in iTunes 9. It's called home sharing, and unlike in previous versions where all you could do was listen to music from other computers on your network you can actually import tracks from other computers onto your own. I run a desktop and laptop both running Traktor so this is essential in syncing my libraries so that they are both up 2 date. Just thought i'd let the crowd here know

we used to do this with a program called OurTunes before itunes 7/8 :P i thought this feature would only be songs that you've purchased, but i guess the abolition of DRM protection makes this irrelevant? is it every library on your network?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

i havent tried this myself .. but it seems apple is also allowing sharing of iphone apps this way. not sure what their aggreement is with iphone app developers and if this implies that they feel that sharing music and apps bought in the itunes store may be shared with friends and family .. they certainly have it made it a lot easier to do so with itunes9
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Friend of mine just got a 4gb nano, and cant use it in any program but itunes, which sucks.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    is it every library on your network?
    It's only iTunes librarys that are signed in to your same iTunes account and on your network, but, signing into an iTunes account doesn't change the library of that computer, so it wouldn't surprise me if Apple is watching what is being shared through the sharing feature.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

I never used to like itunes, but as I am in between DVS with the likes of Torq and Serato and even Traktor then I can see the positives a bit more with itunes.

Its 5 computers maximum. Have just set this up at home
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Its 5 computers maximum. Have just set this up at home
    oh yeah, i remember that. i never understood the 5 users per day thing. pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Friend of mine just got a 4gb nano, and cant use it in any program but itunes, which sucks.
    what other programs would you use a nano with?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

We usually use winamp. Once i lost the entire itunes collection and used winamp to recover most of them back off the pod, it also decodes the stupid encryption that ipods use (i assume they still do this). I'm quite happy with itunes 9 and just set little brother up with it, just dont like the fact that pods are the only players that fcuk with you collections

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hello everyone, just picked up on this awesome feature in iTunes 9. It's called home sharing, and unlike in previous versions where all you could do was listen to music from other computers on your network you can actually import tracks from other computers onto your own. I run a desktop and laptop both running Traktor so this is essential in syncing my libraries so that they are both up 2 date. Just thought i'd let the crowd here know
    How are you syncing tags in traktor? Are you setting beatgrids?