How would I trully benefit using Maschine Studio 2.0 Studio to my DJ setup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would I trully benefit using Maschine Studio 2.0 Studio to my DJ setup?

Hello there fellow DJTechtool'ers, I'm here with quite a question, quite a noobish one, I do understand that the benefits are great with maschine studio, so my setup is at the moment, Traktors master sent to Ableton master (traktor channel 1 and 2, to ableton 1 and 2), 1 traktor f1 controls 2 decks in traktor, other traktor kontrol f1 is used in Ableton, fx racks etc etc, I also use Allen Heath Xone DB4 mixer with that setup. So I was thinking of buying Maschine Studio 2.0, but how would I trully benefit from it? As it has its own program, and to be honest how would ableton fall in that picture with maschine studio 2.0, because all I'm looking at from ableton to have traktors master sent to it, and use samples, different kind of fx racks, vst, build own drops etc etc, as I have done it already. Why i use traktors master to be sent to ableton? well, i dont want to take away that aspect of DJing, thats what its for there I know few big names use traktor, ableton and maschine, but I do believe maschine is mapped to ableton most of the times, but again, if maschine studio 2.0 as I watched some vids, has capabilities of all that, then why use ableton in the picture at all? Share your thoughts

I use Maschine in my DJ set up, was first just synced with Traktor, but now synced with Ableton, i have Maschine open as a plugin inside of Ableton, with my Xone 92 i have Mash on the send/return MIC channel and apply ableton FX over Maschine sounds.

You needn't bother using Maschine studio in your DJ set up, i'd say use Maschine MK1/MK2. Maschine Studio is more of a... Studio tool tbh, not saying you cant use it, but you know.. Have you already got Maschine studio?
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I use Maschine in my DJ set up, was first just synced with Traktor, but now synced with Ableton, i have Maschine open as a plugin inside of Ableton, with my Xone 92 i have Mash on the send/return MIC channel and apply ableton FX over Maschine sounds.

You needn't bother using Maschine studio in your DJ set up, i'd say use Maschine MK1/MK2. Maschine Studio is more of a... Studio tool tbh, not saying you cant use it, but you know.. Have you already got Maschine studio?
    Not yet, thats why I made a thread here first to get my head around it, what if I buy maschine studio 2 and just get the ableton out of the way? As I havent played with maschine studio just yet so I dont really know for sure would I miss Ableton in the setup?

Okay. Well it's entirely up to you, i like having my Maschine plugin open with Ableton, but you can use maschine and traktor alone just fine... It depends on what you want to achieve...
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MockusD View Post
    Not yet, thats why I made a thread here first to get my head around it, what if I buy maschine studio 2 and just get the ableton out of the way? As I havent played with maschine studio just yet so I dont really know for sure would I miss Ableton in the setup?
    Good Questions!

I have Traktor and Maschine and I had Ableton for about 3 months until I decided it wasnt for me. I had Maschine in Ableton as a plugin and sometimes I would route Traktor into Ableton but tbh it was too much to think about.

Since Maschine 2.0 came out I sold my Ableton License and I just work with Maschine now using the MkII. I agree with the earlier comment that the Studio is more of Prodution controller but thats just me. I think the Maschine MKI or II is perfect to use in your DJ sessions.

Sometimes I run Maschine into Traktor as Live input and use it like that. I stoppe ddoing that because I have an F1 and I feel it is much better suited for that purpose. Most of the time I use maschine to make my own loops to be used in remix sets. For me, I think the ideal set up would be to use the top 2 decks for my s4 one deck for my F1 then another one for Maschine. Learning how to finger drum and use maschine more as a performance tool to spice up my sets is on top of my to do list. Those pads are perfect to get the job done.

I would suggest thinking about how you want to play first before you think about investing in more gear or software. Like you said... maybe sell Ableton and just do Maschine and Traktor....or keep Ableton and get Push instead and forget about Maschine. I think both are pretty powerful solutions once you find your groove so it should boil down to a matter of preference.

...remember sometimes less is more

Tech Wizard

another thing to add is the controller template for Maschine to control Ableton is pretty amazing. I had alot of fun with that. Mainly the reason why I held on to Ableton for so long but Ableton software just isnt for me lol

Quote Originally Posted by m2lawren View Post
    Good Questions!

I have Traktor and Maschine and I had Ableton for about 3 months until I decided it wasnt for me. I had Maschine in Ableton as a plugin and sometimes I would route Traktor into Ableton but tbh it was too much to think about.

Since Maschine 2.0 came out I sold my Ableton License and I just work with Maschine now using the MkII. I agree with the earlier comment that the Studio is more of Prodution controller but thats just me. I think the Maschine MKI or II is perfect to use in your DJ sessions.

Sometimes I run Maschine into Traktor as Live input and use it like that. I stoppe ddoing that because I have an F1 and I feel it is much better suited for that purpose. Most of the time I use maschine to make my own loops to be used in remix sets. For me, I think the ideal set up would be to use the top 2 decks for my s4 one deck for my F1 then another one for Maschine. Learning how to finger drum and use maschine more as a performance tool to spice up my sets is on top of my to do list. Those pads are perfect to get the job done.

I would suggest thinking about how you want to play first before you think about investing in more gear or software. Like you said... maybe sell Ableton and just do Maschine and Traktor....or keep Ableton and get Push instead and forget about Maschine. I think both are pretty powerful solutions once you find your groove so it should boil down to a matter of preference.

...remember sometimes less is more
    #

Thank you for info, what I'm looking for getting into more complicated live performances, to get more to play with while playing out, I looked at few videos of Maschine Studio 2.0 from Pointblank, London, and I would think its the thing for me. What Im looking from my live performances are to manipulate any song on the go, and I think as Maschine Studio, well is more for Studio work, that suits me perfect, but I do have a hunch that having traktor on 2 decks and maschine on other 2 is just not enough channels for traktor, so I think going Xone 92 way would be wise choice, to run traktor on 4 decks and maschine on 2, but I'm not sure just yet should I downgrade from DB4, to keep in mind that on DB4 I only use Delay and Reverb effects, nothing else is more or less touched frequently, I would need to buy Maschine first and have a play around and see would 2 or 3 channels of traktor would be enough for me, why you had maschine as plugin in ableton? Never seem to get my head around it.. So what you think about all of this that i just wrote?)

And also, would it be enough having maschine for 1 channel?

The M-Studio would give you an ease of use w/ the display. Compared to the MK1/2 you'll have your information clearly displayed right in front of you. No need to use 2 laptops or flip back and forth from one app to the next (on a single laptop). I also used, or at least tried to use, the MK2 with a DB4 and it really just became more for fills, links, and breaks.

I am not sure how you're mixing, but I'd believe that the DB4 has more then enough channels to accomplish anything, via the input matrix. If you add an external 4ch soundcard, you'll have 9 channels to split, 4 USB(mixer), 4 Analogue(SC), and 1 Mic(mixer)... 5 to be used at one time? Even with a 2 channel soundcard you could route one channel into the mic and one into a analogue channel and switch, or monitor, or run it into the mix, or cascade the mic channel... tons of options
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Wizard

maybe look at getting a demo of maschine to try out first and see if its for you. NI def stepped their game up with Maschine 2.0. For me I just like to have as few controllers as possible that can do multiple things.

You def need to have a clear idea of the way you want to play though. It took me about a year to really finalize my set up and figure out what I wanted to do. So def don't rush any decsions cause I bought and sold a couple items (im sure alot of us have) before I ended up choosing the S4, F1, MK II and IRIG Keys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast