How To Drop Frequency Over Time?

Default How To Drop Frequency Over Time?

right, so i have a nice fat bass synth tone that i want to drop in frequency over time. problem is, my hard synth is old and doesn't have any mod/pitch wheels so i figure i'm gonna have to hard program it :/ i'm in logic, does anyone know how to achieve this?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    right, so i have a nice fat bass synth tone that i want to drop in frequency over time. problem is, my hard synth is old and doesn't have any mod/pitch wheels so i figure i'm gonna have to hard program it :/ i'm in logic, does anyone know how to achieve this?
    Bounce your synth to an audio file and use pitch/transpose envelopes.
    An idea might be to also bounce the same synth line up/down 1 and 2 octaves so you have a target for when you do your pitch shift.

hope that helps
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

If it's got portemento on it, set it to the highest/longest setting. Then press and hold your start note. Without letting go, press a second lower note. Hold them both and it should glide from one to the other.

Tech Mentor

you didn't mention which synth it is... but you can use a spare envelope to modulate the pitch (osc) with a long attack, depends on yer synth but you might need a negative modulation value!

Z

thanks for the ideas guys, i guess some more specifics would have helped:

it's not so much a full synth i have tweaked, but it's a sample that i've loaded into ultrabeat. i'm going to try your methods out and see what i can come up with, unless someone can give me an ultrabeat-specific method.

thanks again.

p.s - that's a sweet track rjw

maybe i'll try massive..

massive would probably be easier. or why not drop the sample into logics ESX24 sampler?

Default Re: How To Drop Frequency Over Time?

Quote Originally Posted by rjw
    massive would probably be easier. or why not drop the sample into logics ESX24 sampler?
    yeah I ended up just making it in massive. I was slightly frustrated as to why it wasn't as loud as I would like.. then I turned the volume up on my speakers.. :P yeah. but I did try and make it in the exs24 at first, but for some reason it wouldn't let me drop the sample in :/

the only minor issue i have with the massive sound is that I couldn't get the bass to drop off completely. rather it just drops to a very soft continuous level and ends abruptly when the trigger is removed. I'm assuming I'm just going to have to fiddle with the decay. but much thanks to all of you who replied.

Play with the release to have the sound fade away once you release the key rather then have the sound cut out straight away when you let go of the key...

Default Re: How To Drop Frequency Over Time?

Quote Originally Posted by rjw
    Play with the release to have the sound fade away once you release the key rather then have the sound cut out straight away when you let go of the key...
    awesome! thanks again