Lots of free music in your genre?
    Tech Mentor

Default Lots of free music in your genre?

I play 3 styles of "EDM"

Hard House
    Trance
    Drum and Bass

By far the most commercial of the 3 I trance and I get most of my trance releases through zipdj.

Hard House is now niche genre, and I mostly buy my tracks of Toolbox digital shop...

However with drum and bass. I am absolutely amazed by how much free shit there is.

Just today I downloaded 50 free tracks off soundcloud and facebook "Like" links.

In fact looking over my collection I have approximately 50% free tracks out of 500.

I'm not complaining but its interesting how this genre is approaching music. Its like its you're better off releasing it for free.

And that gets me to the last point. Is it better to release it for free?

Tech Guru

When you say Trance you do mean.. Trance trance, right? Like the Trance which hasn't been mainstream for nearly a decade, whilst the Top 40 is peppered with DnB/Dubstep? Trance was finished off in the mainstream when Prog House came along and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

The reason there's so many DnB tracks, free or otherwise, is that the underground scene was bustling even when Trance was at it's peak, and now it's gone away at the same time that it's never been cheaper to make electronic music, it's guaranteed to get a crap ton of tracks. The only genre I know of that has more free shit (and by no means good shit) is Dubstep (which is still DnB, really) and the current Hard Prog House.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Mentor

I don't consider dubstep to be anything like DnB.

I find trance to be very commercial nowadays. Not commercial as in top 40. Commercial as in sold out to the "evil empire". DnB to me still has that underground feel to it still.

But this is a huge tangent from my initial question...

Tech Guru

Well if you release it for free, you're going to lose a lot of money on it, on the other hand you're going to get a lot more coverage out of it. Also, if you use samples that you don't have the rights for, giving a track away for free is usually a good way to avoid a lawsuit (although it can still happen if they argue that your career was built on the success of a track with their sample. It HAS happened before.) When you're big time/household name though, there's no need to give away a track for free, you'd be doing yourself a massive disservice.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

I'm amazed at how many up-and-coming nu-disco artists give away their music for free on Soundcloud. It makes perfect sense, because it's an excellent promotional tool. But yeah, tons of free music. We are living in a golden age.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Dubstep (which is still DnB, really)

Get ready for those free christmas EPs !

Tech Mentor

Dubstep is dnb? I don't even know what that means.

A lot of tunes in dnb are free because the artist can't sell enough copies to clear samples. Instead of letting tunes rot on HD's, they give them away.