Collecting Feedback: An iPhone app to build Traktor maps
    Tech Guru

Default Collecting Feedback: An iPhone app to build Traktor maps

How's it going everybody? I don't know about you but at this point my phone is with me more then my laptop. This is just a baby idea so feel free to either rip it apart or build it up.

What if it was possible to create Traktor (Or any DJ program) midi maps from your iPhone. You could select parameters or it could even be broken up into groups. So if you want to create the basic mixer functions or FX presets you'd select it from a menu and it would build the midi map for you. The only real challenge I see is how the app would know what midi channels or notes to assign your functions too.

Let me know what you guys think! Good, bad, unnecessary?

if you could make it work you could just leave a comment about which control you need to map it to, then import it into tractor and make the user learn in all the controls.

Or if you have some time spare you could program it in prior to the user making their mapping, There are hundreds of examples of the controls and their midi assignment on djtt that you could scour through. then you could make a better interface for it where you see a picture of the whole controller and tap an the part to map it. That should work for 90% of the users as most controllers these days have static midi messages or at least a way to restore the defaults..

The big decider is how do you decode and encode the TSI files??
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

Yes that's definitely something I thought of. If you have a database of midi messages for individual controllers then making a mapping for it would be as easy as selecting your controller and then you mapping would be assigned to those specific midi notes from that controller.

Once your done your mapping you could either email it or upload to your dropbox. It wouldn't replace the desktop solution but it'd be a way to prototype ideas on the go. Imagine sitting through a boring university lecture. Take out your phone and just start coming up with new fx presets or map those hot cues you've been meaning to map.

I'm not sure you would want to set effects parameters unless you have an encyclopedic knowledge of traktor like Stewe, you really need a way to hear how it all sounds, although you could have workaround patterns built into it which would help many users to figure it out, But now that you mention that you would have to enter all the commands yourself in traktor it seems a waste, another idea would be a traktor mapping cheat sheet, I don't think you could charge for it though so you would have to do it for the love of programming sharing knowledge...

Also doesn't it cost about $30,000 annually for college in the US.. If you're bored I would drop out of the subject not play on your phone, If you think about it it probably costs upwards of $150 per lecture at that price $30,000/8 subjects /20 lectures = a shit load
    Last edited by synthet1c; 12-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Tech Guru

It's more a flaw with the education system. Classes aren't engaging enough because we're forced to take classes we aren't interested in. Unfortunately, it's necessary if you want to do graduate or professional school (or any technical industry job really).

That said, I would love an iPad app. The iPhone is too small I think, but it should be translatable.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

that doesn't sound like a system, it sounds like extortion. /derail