Loud audio pop which appear to be cause by voltage surge passing thru USB cable.

Default Loud audio pop which appear to be cause by voltage surge passing thru USB cable.

I'm having the following problem with my "Sony VAIO" laptop and any of my USB audio devices (Kontrol S4 and DJM-850 mixer): I'm getting a loud Pop intermittently out of my speakers when I'm using my dj software. As of right now I tested by using another Sony VAIO laptop which I have around and it did not produce the same problem when I run the DJ software which let me to believe it is an issue on my original laptop. I tested also by only using the laptop on battery power and I still get the same problem but the sound is a bit less loud. When using the DJM-850 mixer the pop sound more like a "Beeping" sound that still occur intermittently. For some reason the issue is worse when the PA-speaker is connected to the same power outlet as the laptop. Have any one experience this problem and what was the fix? I contacted Sony and would be sending the laptop in for repair at a cost.

Tech Guru

Probably audio glitches/dropouts. Have you optimised your laptops?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Default Loud audio pop which appear to be cause by voltage surge passing thru USB cable

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Probably audio glitches/dropouts. Have you optimised your laptops?

Yes, my Laptop is optimized plus this are some of it specification: Intel core i7-264m CPU @ 2.8 Ghz. 8GB RAM Windows 7 64-bit.
    I also used a different laptop which is a step down compare to my actual laptop and it did not produce the same problem. I also run a program call "latency Monitor" which it is suppose to tell you if your pc is having any problem with the audio card performance due to program running in your computer. The software did not pick any cause that would affect my audio performance. I have no idea what could be the problem but for what I have concluded it should be some kind of diffect on my pc hardware.

Tech Guru

Specs don't matter once you meet the recommended requirements. Even the most powerful computer can have dropouts.

Have you monitored your DPC latency during a dropout?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Specs don't matter once you meet the recommended requirements. Even the most powerful computer can have dropouts.

Have you monitored your DPC latency during a dropout?
    I have being running the Latency Monitor program and also kept and eye on the Traktor software indicator that tell you how hard the CPU is working and all seem normal. Now a drop out should more or less be an audio cut out or some kind of silences for a second or so but what I get is what I consider similar to a electrical spark. The sound I hear when I'm using the S4 is not a pop sound but like an explosion of noise. When I'm using the laptop with the DJM-850 mixer the sound becomes more like a beep sound. I have being using my laptop with the same setting and only recently I stared to have this issue happen.

What is your latency at? Do you have the wifi enabled? Bluetooth? What other programs are running in the background?
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    What is your latency at? Do you have the wifi enabled? Bluetooth? What other programs are running in the background?
    At this time my latency read 5.8 in the traktor software audio setting and that latency is base on using the DJM-850 mixer which as you know it has it own audio card. When using the S4 the latancy may be at 6.8. The latancy is base on having the sample rate set for 41k and the buffer size set to 192. Turning off the wifi and the bluetooth is one of my ritual since for some reason window base pc seem to have issue performing when this things are on. I pretty much had set my pc base on the guide line for optimizing audio performance. I believe I got this info about how to optimize the PC for audio performance on one of the forum discussion. There should be some program running on the pc but this are program that had always being running on the background from day one. I should connect a volt mete to the USB cable to see if I can pickup some power.