intro to digital djing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default intro to digital djing

Hey DJTT,
    so I have djing for a while now and my current set up consists of two turntables, a mixer and a bag of vinyls.
    This is my problem, I am now looking into djing for parties to earn some money and in order for me to do that i would need to start playing more modern music. what gear should I be looking at purchasing? My budget is $1000 or under and I dont mind buying DJ gear second hand.

Thanks a lot
    Ba5 Booster

Dvs?

Quote Originally Posted by johney View Post
    Dvs?
    Seconded. Use the gear you have, just add something like Traktor Scratch Pro 2 or Serato DJ. Easily under $1000. Throw in a controller for effects (like Traktor X1) and you're gravy.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You'll first need a laptop (capable of meeting the minimum specs for the software you choose).

You'll also need a DVS system as johney mentioned if you want to continue using your turntables with your laptop

or

You'll need a controller which would replace your Turntable/mixer altogether

A Digital Vinyl System would be the easiest to get used to as you are basically using exactly the same setup as you already know and just selecting the music on the computer and you'll still be able to spin your regular vinyl as well.

If you go with the likes of Serato you could get something like the Behringer CMD-DV-1 so you don't need to go near the computer half as much.

If you go the Controller route will mean everything gets routed though the computer all your functions / effects etc will be set up through the software but would makes things more portable however sacrifice the "realism" of touching your turntables and mixer.

If you like the sound of DVS check out both Serato and Traktor - they are really the "industry standard".

If you like the sound of a controller - there are literally hundreds to choose from, however I'd first consider which of the above routes you want to take.
    Last edited by deevey; 12-03-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Tech Wizard

I have just recently looked into a controller based setup and i am not liking the fact that i cant use a my physical mixer (that's more a personal choice), how does DVS allow me to use my current turntables and mixer to mix ???

Tech Guru

All in one controllers replace the mixer. That said, you can still use an external mixer but it'll take up a ton of space.

You go with a modular system that allows you to use an external mixer -> DVS. You need a scratch certified mixer though.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

you have a special record with timecode signal on it.
    the signal goes to computer via a soundcard and controls the playback of audio files.
    the audio then goes out of the soundcard into the mixer

Tech Wizard

roughly how much would the whole set ( timecode vinyl, soundcard, software) set me back ??

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    You go with a modular system that allows you to use an external mixer -> DVS. You need a scratch certified mixer though.
    That's not true. You'd need a scratch certified sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by ba5booster View Post
    roughly how much would the whole set ( timecode vinyl, soundcard, software) set me back ??
    depends on what you're getting
    try looking on some online dj shops to get the idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast