Beginner Trance DJ living in Las Vegas

Default Beginner Trance DJ living in Las Vegas

I have spun several house parties and everything has gone really well! At home i have been practicing just getting on my S4 and just picking songs through my lists and running with it. Gettin a lot better and more consistent at my improv. I know that is essential in live gigs at actual venues. Im getting more and more addicted every day.

So

I live in Las Vegas. Home of EDC,Marquee, Surrender, Hakkassan, Light, etc.. etc . . . There are plenty of small bars and venues around town and down on the hipster area of Freemont street. The thing i have noticed is trance is kind of hidden in the shadows. With he exception of Markus, Armin and Ferry A&B and a few others.. Trance does no exist in Las Vegas. In addition to that, seeing those big names is extremely disappointing. Not the same as a festival/rave. I know vegas is all about the money and not suprisingly Trap,dubstep and the new age prog house/trapish stuff is taking over. Fun fact for those reading. Went to see Paul Oakenfold and Jordan Suckley about a month ago at Lavo. ANOTHER LET DOWN!! I was at the bar with my buds waiting on a beer and Suckley is standing behind me texting. Shook his hand and ended up talking for about a hour. Now to the point of the story.. They told Oakenfold and Suckley .. NO TRANCE. wtf? how u gonna tell the OAK that? crazy. Only at 330 in the morning with a empty dance floor and the remaining die-hards did i get a lil fix.

sorry for the side story.. i just thought it was interesting.

I dont know where to start. Seems all the small venues want trap stuff. more and more wobbles and bass. I want to start playing live gigs at venues. I dont know where to start.. I thought maybe hookah lounges and similar things.
    I want to stay true to my style. i dont want to adapt in order to get gigs.

Does anyone have suggestions or useful thoughts?? Feels like im a Spartan and im fighting the trap-loving Persians

Thanks !!!

btw i have love for all genres, not trying to be a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesbikes View Post
    i dont want to adapt in order to get gigs.
    Unfortunately you are going to have to mate. My brother and i are psytrance dj's and 90% of our gigs are house (always manage to squeeze some trance in in the last hour tho!)
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesbikes View Post
    I have spun several house parties and everything has gone really well! At home i have been practicing just getting on my S4 and just picking songs through my lists and running with it. Gettin a lot better and more consistent at my improv. I know that is essential in live gigs at actual venues. Im getting more and more addicted every day.

So

I live in Las Vegas. Home of EDC,Marquee, Surrender, Hakkassan, Light, etc.. etc . . . There are plenty of small bars and venues around town and down on the hipster area of Freemont street. The thing i have noticed is trance is kind of hidden in the shadows. With he exception of Markus, Armin and Ferry A&B and a few others.. Trance does no exist in Las Vegas. In addition to that, seeing those big names is extremely disappointing. Not the same as a festival/rave. I know vegas is all about the money and not suprisingly Trap,dubstep and the new age prog house/trapish stuff is taking over. Fun fact for those reading. Went to see Paul Oakenfold and Jordan Suckley about a month ago at Lavo. ANOTHER LET DOWN!! I was at the bar with my buds waiting on a beer and Suckley is standing behind me texting. Shook his hand and ended up talking for about a hour. Now to the point of the story.. They told Oakenfold and Suckley .. NO TRANCE. wtf? how u gonna tell the OAK that? crazy. Only at 330 in the morning with a empty dance floor and the remaining die-hards did i get a lil fix.

sorry for the side story.. i just thought it was interesting.

I dont know where to start. Seems all the small venues want trap stuff. more and more wobbles and bass. I want to start playing live gigs at venues. I dont know where to start.. I thought maybe hookah lounges and similar things.
    I want to stay true to my style. i dont want to adapt in order to get gigs.

Does anyone have suggestions or useful thoughts?? Feels like im a Spartan and im fighting the trap-loving Persians

Thanks !!!

btw i have love for all genres, not trying to be a hater.
    You have to adapt.

But.. really??? They told Oakenfold no trance??? That's ridiculous.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

since you stated you are just a beginner, Im sorry to tell you that you have no bargaining power YET. learn to play different styles to get you to promoters and venues then play your stuff when you are headlining.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story