Serato and Ableton together -Jan 14, 2010
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Serato and Ableton together -Jan 14, 2010

At the BPM show in 2008, Ableton and Serato announced a creative partnership. One year later, we're hard at work to make our products play nice together, and we're gearing up for a big unveiling on January 14, 2010, at the winter NAMM show in Anaheim, California. Keep your eyes peeled on www.ableton.com and www.serato.com for more news.

We're not letting the cat out of the bag just yet, other than to say if you own Ableton Live, and any of the DJ products that use Serato software, get ready to unleash your creativity in 2010!

In the meantime, here's a great tip from DJ Jazzy Jeff on a cool way that you can already use Ableton Live and Scratch Live together:

http://www.ableton.com/pages/2009/ableton_and_serato
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

Tech Wizard

woah... something very interesting indeed!

This is the WORST news I've heard since going digital. You'll only be able to take advantage of this if you use the hardware that serato/rane produce.

Sucks a$$.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The first example of this team up is in Itch. Where do you suppose Serato got the time-stretching algorithm for Itch... Ableton will have given them the DLL.

Its quite funny though how the traditional DJ methods that so many people subscribe to over at the Serato Forums are being ripped up by the use of warping and using Ableton.

Not something i agree with, hell , do what you need to do to get by but i wonder how well all this is going down with the "No sync, No Grids, No Cheating" mob over at Serato.

Interesting times for sure. Thanks for the heads-up Claudek

Tech Guru

I do not understand what is wrong with this? Two great companies working together to make something stronger. For the post above about only limited to those using Serato hardware..??WHat? What does it matter? This is made for Serato only so if you have Serato then you I hope have the hardware. On most other digital Pro Dj programs out there,there is already a link to make Live work along. As for now, the audio in Serato based software only ports out when the hardware is connected and via the hardware.
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

they might be making something completely new and amazing... we dont know. dont jump to conclusions so quick..

personally, im thinking vst support
    [ ms ]

If Claudeks last post is picked apart , it hints that the Serato hardware will indeed by needed for this new program to work so with that in mind:

I think (and im guessing here) that Patchs issue is that maybe he is an Ableton user and his chosen software company are bringing out a program that he wont be able to use as he isnt an SSL owner.

This whole Serato/Ableton team up has been shrouded by mystery for so long that speculation has got out of control. This can only lead to disappointment for some.

Serato/Ableton or Ableton/Serato . Theres a world of difference.
    Ableton dont make software that relies on specific hardware. On the face of it it turns out that this team up is not for Ableton users at all. Its for Serato users.

I think that should have been made clear at the time cus i think there will be lots of pissed Ableton users.
    If Native Instruments developed a version of Traktor alongside another software house and i couldnt use it because i dont have that companies hardware i would be furious as a loyal Traktor user.

If NI teamed up with someone and the NI hardware was mandatory then id be ok cus i have an Audio 8 but i would see the product as Traktor (featuring blah blah).

Im not saying i agree with Patchs concern but im not strongly against it.

The thread title say Serato and Ableton together. Id say that is misleading. It is Serato (featuring Ableton) or Ableton (for Serato Users). That way you know its aimed at Serato users and not Ableton users.

Of course one of the big rumours is that this new program will enable you to Scratch Ableton Clips with timecode. Anyone familiar with a DVS knows that this is reliant on the hardware of that particular company. Pure Ableton users are not gonna be aware of this. Trust me, i know about people being unable to grasp the concept of having to buy the exact Hardware to use DVS. I have to explain why you have to use NI soundcards to use Timecode everyday to astonished Traktor users. "why cant i use my Torq timecode and my Maya" "can i use the ScratchAmp with T.S.PRO"
    This will only be worse for Ableton users who, up till now can use any hardware they like.

BTW- some (not all, dont get me wrong) of the Ableton users i know would not know one end of a turntable from another. They wont have any interest in this team up cus they are welded to their keyboards.

I could of course have got all this wrong and talking out of my rear end.

Who knows, time will tell i suppose.

Tech Wizard

well, obvisouly, as the title already stated, this new feature (or maybe even whole new product) is for people that own both, ableton and one of the two serato software products.

so i dont get at all where this complaining is coming from.

"hey the new VW uses a porsche motor! why doesnt my toyota come with one as well??"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by betatron View Post
    they might be making something completely new and amazing... we dont know. dont jump to conclusions so quick..

personally, im thinking vst support
    Scratch Live started out as a plug-in for Pro Tools, I don't see Serato going back to a plug-in.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel79 View Post
    well, obvisouly, as the title already stated, this new feature (or maybe even whole new product) is for people that own both, ableton and one of the two serato software products.

so i dont get at all where this complaining is coming from.

"hey the new VW uses a porsche motor! why doesnt my toyota come with one as well??"
    The title doesnt say that at all. It doesnt even suggest it in any way.
    It suggests that this is a new team up on a product that (in the words of the OP) "makes both products play nice together". A whole new system.

But it doesnt make Serato and Ableton play nice together. It makes Serato play nice with Ableton (cus you already have the hardware) . It does not make Ableton (as it is) play nice with Serato. You have to buy the hardware for that to happen. Thats fine , im cool with that. I bought the hardware for my DVS and was happy to but that was the pre-requisite to using my DVS. Buying hardware is not the pre-requisite for using Ableton.

As stated i was just assuming what the other member was complaining about. I actually couldnt care about this software. Im not complaining

As for the car analogy , i love car analogies i use them all the time but i feel that yours is not relevant. Doesnt actually make any sense. .
    At least not in the context of 2 companies teaming up and alienating users of one of the companies products.

Just sayin'

This is a perspective from someone who is an impartial observer .
    I neither use Serato or Ableton. Maybe ill buy the new system if its really good.

Who knows, or dares to dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast