Stanton T.92 USB opinions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Stanton T.92 USB opinions

Hey guys! So at the moment I dj with a novation twitch controller however I want to make the step up to cdjs/turntables. Mainly because I don't really think it's djing properly with a controller (Don't flame me for saying that). I think djing with cdjs or a good turntable at home allows you to hone your skills and rely on your ears more. But I don't really know what to choose!
    Another point I may add is that I want to rip vinyl so I can play exclusive tracks. Most of the tracks I listen to and love are vinyl only and it winds me up that I can't play them so I was thinking about getting cdjs and one vinyl turntable for ripping tunes? Does anyone on here do this?

The turntable I was thinking was the Stanton T.92 USB! However I want some opinions on this. Has anyone got this model? or know a lot about it? I've seen many great reviews however it'll only really be used to rip vinyl so I can play them on my cdjs at home or in clubs? You can get them fairly cheap too which is also a bonus

Tech Guru

Avoid USB turntables if you ask me, get a HiFi deck and a good USB pre-amp.

If you are only going to be using the turntable to RIP vinyl then this is the best way to go.

Turntables to look at, Pro-Ject Debut, Rega RP1, try pick them up second hand.

Pre amp wise, I know Pro-ject do one, though I think its a bit costly, but there is one by ART phono USB plus or something which I believe is cheaper.

I have a Pro-ject turntable in my Hi-Fi system, and they are fantastic.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

I'll check it out man, how much money we talking about?

Tech Guru

There is the new Project Elemental, which is 149 new.

But your best bet is to go second hand which gives you a few more options

The Project Essential, which is slightly older costs more new but more chance of picking up second hand.

I have the Project Debut III which again you should be able to pick up second hand for under a hundred.

There's also Project Debut II and I, and Genie.

Pre amp wise, your looking at rouhly between 40 and 70 for a alright one.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Mentor

Not only is the T.92 a fine deck for transferring your vinyl, it's a fine deck for mixing on. Plenty of torque. Proper setup, cartridge selection and clean records should be your focus.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    Not only is the T.92 a fine deck for transferring your vinyl, it's a fine deck for mixing on. Plenty of torque. Proper setup, cartridge selection and clean records should be your focus.
    OP has already stated its not to use for mixing, so torque is not an issue. Plus having a seperate turntable and pre amp will in turn mean better vinyl rips, as I can't imagine the pre amp in the T. 92 being great.

Seperates will always beat all-in-ones.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm certainly going to check out that project elemental and the others like you said! I do believe one of the main selling points for the T. 92 was that it's built so you can rip vinyl? But if the ones you suggested are better then it looks like it'll be cheaper anyway?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MeetsMandy View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys! I'm certainly going to check out that project elemental and the others like you said! I do believe one of the main selling points for the T. 92 was that it's built so you can rip vinyl? But if the ones you suggested are better then it looks like it'll be cheaper anyway?
    No worries, it's tempting to go for the stanton sure, but if you want good quality rips to play in a club seperate turntable and pre amp will be the best. Also forgot to mention the ART pre amps actually have a gain knob, plus low freq roll off, so no rumble.

Plus the Project turntables have a lovely minimalist design.

Tech Mentor

nice, they will be rips for club play so this is actually appealing to me loads! Thanks for being so helpful man

These guys are the Project distributors in the UK. Pretty helpful bunch, have dealt with them before

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/home-c1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast