Chromebooks - Talk to me. (or similar)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Default Chromebooks - Talk to me. (or similar)

Ok I'm buying my mum a Chromebook or something similar for Xmas.
    Who's got one or any experience and what are they like and who makes the one you would recommend.
    Price range? Well it's my mum so price is of little concern but price must be relevant to her usage needs.

Worth noting.
    My mum is 71. She does not need an all-singing-all-dancing machine.

She will literally just use it to surf the internet and leave her political rants on the BBC New website and probably send hate mail to David Cameron (yes like me she is a raving Commie).

She won't be using any peripherals.

She HATES tablets, they are not good for her hands or posture and a Surface is not practical for her.

Little netbooks are too small so I'm thinking 11" screen or very similar.
    As light as possible would be good.

...and remember this is my mum I'm asking about so please keep the usual piss-taking down to a respectful level. Try to be helpful. First person that says "get her a QuadCore Macbook Pro" gets banned

I thank you in advance. May angels sing you to a restful sleep tonite knowing that you have helped me, help a lovely lady out.

Karlos

Tech Guru

Dual core MBP.

Forealz though... I think 11" is way too small. Esp if her eyesight is going.

13" minimum. I think Chromebooks are a waste of money since you can get a Windows laptop for like 300-400 easily nowadays.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Chromebooks vary in price and horsepower. You have the upper echelon with the chromebook (google pixel) and the more budget friendly units that most brands make. I believe as of now Samsung, Acer, and HP make chromebooks in the $250-$350ish range (with dell releasing one in the coming months). Everyone disses them, but I think they are a great alternative to those who aren't very computer literate, won't be doing anything that is cpu/gpu intensive, or don't need a windows/linux/osx specific program. There's no worrying about viruses or system maintenance. Most peoples' complaint is that they rely on the cloud/internet too much. Much of the functionality has been made available offline since the launch of chrome os. Keep in mind that if your mother keeps lots of pictures, movies, etc. she may need to acclimate to the cloud as chromebooks have very limited storage. I think most of them come with 2 years free google drive storage though (can't remember the exact amount). All of the budget chromebooks are extremely light. The learning curve is also not as bad as learning to use windows 8 or osx. If she's getting one I'd recommend you set her up with google chrome as her default browser at the very least and possibly a gmail account now. This will make the learning curve much easier as chrome os is essentially the same thing as the browser. From what your mother likes to do a chromebook sounds like it would more than suffice. I recommended my gf to get one and she hasn't had any problems with it (She has the Samsung one).

Edit: Also if she uses things like skype and such she may need to transition into using google service equivalents (hangouts) or finding online alternatives. The chrome webstore has a fairly large selection of apps and extensions so finding alternatives isn't too much of an issue.
    Last edited by Kid Quest; 12-11-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

my sister just started college and i was going to buy her one, had a look, didn't like it, just way too restricted, i ended up buying a brand new 15.6" windows laptop directly from HP for £210 + vat, great basic laptop.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Forealz though... I think 11" is way too small. Esp if her eyesight is going.

13" minimum.
    +1

I'd recommend a Vaio. Solid and reliable. Also, I'd suggest maybe booting with Windows 7 as opposed to 8, purely because 8 is crazily complicated and a bitch to use, interface-wise...

He's talking about his mother. Having worked level 1 tech support before I'd recommend a chromebook if she is not tech savvy and calls you asking how to do stuff on the computer. Chromebooks may be restricted to us, but the average user only uses the browser 99.9% of the time anyway and there are are chrome web store alternatives to the .01% of the time. The biggest strength I see is not having to worry about system up keep or the user accidentally messing up settings.
    Samsung Ativ Book 8 15.6” i7-3635QM | Z2 | F1 | X1 | A6 | 2 x Str8-150 | TMA-1 | TSP
    KRK Rockit Gen 2 6 | Focusrite Saffire 6 | Ableton Push | Alesis V49 | TMA-1 Studio | Ableton Live 9
    http://www.soundcloud.com/kid-quest

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Quest View Post
    He's talking about his mother. Having worked level 1 tech support before I'd recommend a chromebook if she is not tech savvy and calls you asking how to do stuff on the computer. Chromebooks may be restricted to us, but the average user only uses the browser 99.9% of the time anyway and there are are chrome web store alternatives to the .01% of the time. The biggest strength I see is not having to worry about system up keep or the user accidentally messing up settings.
    This is 100% spot on.^^^

I will not be buying a Windows laptop. She simply does not need one and I have enough on my plate without having to fanny about with another laptop. The whole reason that I am considering a ChromeBook is the total simplicity of one.

Having looked a bit more into them I think I'm gonna get a mid-priced Chromebook. It really is only something to surf on. She does not need storage, she won't be saving music, pictures or video (that's all taken care for her by me and my sis)... she just wants to vent her anger at the government, switch her gas supplier do all the online stuff that people are having to do these days because everything is easier online such as renewing her car tax etc.

Also, her eyesight is fine. She was happy with the iPad screen size but the onscreen keyboard was not good for her hands and the flatness was not good for her posture so a Chromebook screen will be fine.
    She had a go on my old 12" iBook and she was happy with the size of that, it's just that I won't part with it.

Cheers fellas.

Tech Guru

The only Chromebooks worth getting where the HP 11... But they all exploded (seriously) and now they're in short supply. I know because I was going to get the slam piece one but now I'm shit out of luck. Although I would rather her have no present rather than one that burns her house down.

In my opinion, Chromebooks will be a lot better in a year or two when HTML5 has an actual standard and global internet coverage is even better than it is now.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

11 or 13" Samsung laptop or something similar that does chrome OS.. Something like dual core, 2gb RAM, 120B~ hard drive or some small amount of hard drive... Will cost you about 200 or 350. Don't have any links, I'd just look around on amazon or ebuyer etc

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

No... no laptops... I know how much cheap laptops cost but the point is that ChromeBooks 'seem' to be the most hassle free way of getting a 71 year old woman onto to internet with absolutely zero need for me to be on tap to answer questions.

Surfing - that is all she wants to do... nothing else. And the machine has to be ultra light. Auto software and virus protection updates, 7 second boot up. Who needs a Windows or Mac laptop when you have all that for about £250 and the machine is extremely light and requires no attention or phone calls in the middle of the night when she cannot get online to send hate mail to her local Tory MP.

I'd get her an iPad if she didn't dislike tablets. Chromebooks seem to me to be the laptop(ish) (in form) version of a tablet and are more sturdy that those crappy iPad keyboard extenders.

The new HP 14 looks like the one. It also has 3G so she can rack up a load of data charges in my name cus I'm gonna be paying her bill cus I'm a nice son.

HASSLE FREE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast