Dj`ing in a club - Controller, Mixer & Sound card ????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dj`ing in a club - Controller, Mixer & Sound card ????

Hi Everyone,

I have DJ`d in the past over 7 yrs ago in the clubs. Since then many things have changed... I bought an Imac pro with the Tracktor S4 mixer and hardware (music).

Now... I will be DJìng next month... I want to know if I understand this correctly...

Option#1 - Bring my whole DJ Traktor S4 to the club
    Option#2 - Buy a controller

Please confirm that my options are correct?

Now... My friend was talking to me about sound cards, mixers and controllers.

I saw the traktor control x1 MK2 which has the slide bars and I think an internal sound card?

Can I just use the x1 MK2 ?

Help me here

-Confused...

Tech Guru

I think you're talking about the Z1 not X1. Z1 has faders and a soundcard.

To answer your question tho, it depends on the club. Typically clubs that I've gone into have a set of decks and mixer already, and it's just a matter of basically only bringing a laptop and soundcard. From what I hear, that's typical of clubs in the US.

They may or may not have room for a S4. In any case it's usually not a good look when a club has paid for high end equipment and you decide to use something else, kinda like you hire a professional photographer to take pictures at your event, even supply them with great cameras and what not, and they end up using a disposable camera instead, but that's a decision that will be up to you.

Some "clubs" may not have anything but a PA, and it's up to you to bring everything else. You should definitely check out the setup first and see what you need (equipment, style of cables, powerstrips etc.)

Tech Guru

An X1 and sound card is a great alternative to bringing in a bulky all-in-one like the S4.

If you only want to use the controls on an X1 (and the club mixer), something simple like a Traktor Audio 2 will be fine. You can also connect newer CDJs directly to Traktor using USB cables (CDJ 900s and 2000s).

Otherwise if you'd like to make use of older CDJs or turntables in the club in addition to your X1, you'll need a timecode package like the Traktor Scratch A6.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Em View Post

Option#1 - Bring my whole DJ Traktor S4 to the club
    Option#2 - Buy a controller
    your s4 is already a controller. has already have the sound card needed. just plug it in. but like others side, there might not be any space for the s4, so check on the club if they can accommodate your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana Em View Post
    Now... My friend was talking to me about sound cards, mixers and controllers.

I saw the traktor control x1 MK2 which has the slide bars and I think an internal sound card?

Can I just use the x1 MK2 ?

Help me here

-Confused...
    the x1 mk2 has no sound card built in, you'll have to get a traktor audio 2/4/6/8/10. you can use the x1 alongside the mixer. a lot of people have this setup.

i'm using my x1 and mixer while I have my turntable's voltage converted.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Mentor

you dj'd before, yet you call faders slide bars?

you can use your S4 and output into the Club's mixer or you can output into the "front of the house"

clubs stopped using mixers 7 years ago? wow
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

What's the use of buying another (smaller) controller? You're used to your S4, so take that one with you. There are nice carrying bags to take your controller, laptop, headphones and wiring in one bag. There should be enough space for the S4. And with a good laptop stand, there's also enough space for the laptop.

Tech Guru

Not only are you used to your S4, it's one of the best controllers on the market and for Traktor, there's arguably not one better. I use it for all my gigs and it does more than enough. In fact, you can instantly tell a bad DJ by his ignorance of one of these three factors:

- Know your gear
    - know your songs
    - KNOW YOUR CROWD (The most important, you never, never, NEVER forget this one)

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    They may or may not have room for a S4. In any case it's usually not a good look when a club has paid for high end equipment and you decide to use something else, kinda like you hire a professional photographer to take pictures at your event, even supply them with great cameras and what not, and they end up using a disposable camera instead, but that's a decision that will be up to you.
    Yeah... No. A truly "professional" photographer will get better pictures with a disposable than any random college kid with an SLR. Same goes for DJs. It's not the gear that matters to the crowd!

EDIT: Also, I use the Gator G Club Control Bag, fits my S4, 15" laptop, headphones, F1 and all the wires in. Sturdy and durable, and has more padding than a nutter asylum.
    Last edited by Sambo; 12-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

you are aware that you need a computer with your S4, right?

Thank god someone said it... ^
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast