Alienware for music?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Alienware for music?

Is the best macbook better in anything then an Alienware Intel i7 4800/3,7 GHz/1,5Tb HDD + 80Gb SSD ?
    For music purposes obviously.

PS: I really prefer windows than mac.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Guru

Alienware computers are great for production. Unless you opt for the Bigfoot wireless package, you'll still have to turn off WiFi while running DJ or production apps, but otherwise they're beastly computers.

Tech Guru

Doesn't matter how powerful your 'puter is, Windows audio handling is coded by monkeys and will always be second to OS X in that respect. I use a £450 Lenovo that is as powerful as a MBP and it does the job fine, but every now and then I have issues with some programs and it's always a Windows only issue.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

Windows audio handling is coded by monkeys and will always be second to OS X in that respect.
    NATIVE WINDOWS AUDIO is not nearly as compelling as OSX, that's for sure. But as a DJ, you're almost NEVER using the windows audio handling - you're using an ASIO driver. And those drivers are almost always highly optimized and perform well (when they aren't, it's usually because you're using bargain basement gear).

Just to be clear.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    NATIVE WINDOWS AUDIO is not nearly as compelling as OSX, that's for sure. But as a DJ, you're almost NEVER using the windows audio handling - you're using an ASIO driver. And those drivers are almost always highly optimized and perform well (when they aren't, it's usually because you're using bargain basement gear).

Just to be clear.
    What is an ASIO driver?
    I use a audio interface scarlett 2i2 on my notebook, does it has something to do with it?
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Wizard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

In other words, ASIO bypasses OS's native audio handling, so you get kinda "straight path" from DAW/other application to hardware (audio interface) which reduces latency and may increase audio quality.

Your 2i2 should come with ASIO drivers/you should be able to download them from Scarlett's website. If you don't have ASIO drivers yet, get them! If 2i2 doesn't have interface-specific ASIO, get ASIO4ALL (or get better audio interface lol ).
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ozei View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

In other words, ASIO bypasses OS's native audio handling, so you get kinda "straight path" from DAW/other application to hardware (audio interface) which reduces latency and may increase audio quality.

Your 2i2 should come with ASIO drivers/you should be able to download them from Scarlett's website. If you don't have ASIO drivers yet, get them! If 2i2 doesn't have interface-specific ASIO, get ASIO4ALL (or get better audio interface lol ).
    yea, I downloaded the latest 2i2 driver from their site. So thats why I bought it, its my guarantee that whatever lame pc I have I would always have good sound coming from it and my audio softwares would always work nice.
    After installing it, Traktor's "Load bar" doesnt even gets close to the middle.

So Alienware + my 2i2 and I'm ready to kick some macbook ass hehehe

IMO both are overpriced lol, build your own much more fun and cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post

Just to be clear.
    I think it was clear that it was ASIO on Windows being referenced, not the use of WDM/WASAPI drivers (which I actually find to be more stable/reliable than ASIO, despite the latency). OSX's CoreAudio is still a better solution as it has the best of both.

Alienware is a waste of money for nearly all applications though. The NVIDIA card will be completely useless for production and will drain your battery as well as your wallet.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    IMO both are overpriced lol, build your own much more fun and cheaper...
    I wish I could, I see people saying it all the time, is it too hard to do?

The cooling system must be hard for beginners, if you mess it up the shit will burn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast