Kinda a Beginner in Djing

Default Kinda a Beginner in Djing

So I am familiar to Djing just not controller djing. And I am wanting to get into because it seems like I will really like. All i really do right now is run my laptop through a board and mix two songs together. I have watched many of the video's that are on the DjTechTools youtube page. And I understand that I will not be a pro the first time i try to finger drum. I'm just wanting to pick it up and try it and see if I will be any good at it. So for you guys out there that are pro's or those who have gotten ok with it since you've picked it up. Do you have any advice for a newby?

Practice, practice, practice. Then listen to you practicing and see what works. All the while, listen to mixes by people better than you and watch videos - especially controllerist videos since that seems to be where you want to go with it.

Tech Mentor

I always think it's good idea to understand BPMs and recognize the range a song is in. I would get a BPM counter and start guessing the BPM of different songs then check the BPM counter to see if you're right. Sometimes it helps to have songs in different ranges to sing to yourself to compare it to. Songs you'll really remember, however cliché they may be. Genre is generally an indicator of BPM.

Hip hop is generally from 80-120 BPM
    House/techno: 125-155
    Jungle/drum n bass: 155-190
    Hardcore:180-up

Obviously these are generalizations but it can help. Especially if you are a beginner. no reason to get frustrated trying to mix a house track into jungle. Not that you can't but you can save yourself the headache and time by choosing a track in a closer range.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

what controller are you looking into starting with djing? midi fighter? dj controller like traktor s2? or midi controllers like launchpad or traktor x1?

your question is kinda confusing as you just said you mix with a board, watching videos from djtt and finger drumming.

as ImNotDedYet stated: practice, practice and practice. as with every other things that you want to get better at.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

i have too heard about the rick but have never tried it yet and thinking to go after it .. but do not know the proper procedure to make it right .. may be you tube videos may serve the cause better so now moving on it

Quote Originally Posted by arsman View Post
    what controller are you looking into starting with djing? midi fighter? dj controller like traktor s2? or midi controllers like launchpad or traktor x1?

your question is kinda confusing as you just said you mix with a board, watching videos from djtt and finger drumming.

as ImNotDedYet stated: practice, practice and practice. as with every other things that you want to get better at.
    Yeah, what exactly is the question? Is it about DJing with a controller or finger drumming?

Tech Mentor

Yeah. I missed the mark on answering the question. My fault...that's what I get for skimming through with tapatalk.
    Traktor Z2, Numark TTX1,Ableton Live 9/Push,Roland TR8,Eurorack modular
    Techno/Experimental

Basically I am wondering what controllers would be the easiest to start out with or which one would be more productive. And sorry for the sorry for the confusion about the mixing with a board. What I mean by that is I have a mixing board just some little Mackie board and I just use effects to shuffle in and out of the songs. Which I know this isn't what real Djing is like and that is why I am trying to get into finger drumming and kinda coming up with my own sounds. Maybe that has cleared everything up. Thanks for the advice so far guys.