Starting in music production...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Starting in music production...

Im curious to look into the production side of things, and have never done anything like it before. I've watched some videos on youtube on Maschine and some on Ableton Push, which would be the best to go for for someone starting out and learning to make some music??
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

starting out?

mouse or trackpad, computer's keyboard, laptop/computer, DAW and a good set of monitor speakers/headphones. you do not need ableton push or maschine to start. but if you must, choose your DAW and base your controller from there because both have different workflow.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

was watching some videos from danny j lewis and he seemed to be making some really good stuff just on maschine as a stand alone. That appeals to me as youve got the pads and that there to use rather that just using keyboard and looking on the screen, whether its just me just looks easier to see on there..like i say ive never done anything on the production side before, and watching these videos has got me curious. He does one where he samples "christmas star" off home alone, just grabbing samples from it on youtube and playing around on the pads on maschine..was very impressive
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Learn the DAW first, like arsman said, you don't need the external controller right away. Hell, you don't need one at all to be honest. Test the waters first before diving in.

Seeing as you're just starting out, just choose your software and a good pair of headphones. That is the bare minimum to get started.

Then after a few months or so, if you decide that this is something you want to keep doing, then look at sound cards, controllers, monitors, and a caffeine addiction.

Yes your all right, lol...im very impulsive and when i see something i just want it lol....so i suppose the question is Ableton or Logic Pro? which is the best? easiest? best features and layout?

Tech Convert

Bang for your buck, Logic, everytime. With everything it includes "in the box" you can't really go wrong. Personally though, I hate it and use Ableton almost exclusively, and logic only when its required for school.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmac View Post
    Yes your all right, lol...im very impulsive and when i see something i just want it lol....so i suppose the question is Ableton or Logic Pro? which is the best? easiest? best features and layout?
    Up to you to decide, get the trial version for both and give it a whirl. Watch some tutorials and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Up to you to decide, get the trial version for both and give it a whirl. Watch some tutorials and go from there.
    This, and perhaps explore some other trials as well.

Nobody ever talks about Reason here, I personally think it's much better for producing than ableton. Ableton is good for taking your productions live, but as for getting into the nitty gritty of producing, reason, reason, reason.
    My 2c
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast