Best Program to create a mix-tape mix-file
    Tech Wizard

Default Best Program to create a mix-tape mix-file

I'm sure this has been asked several times but I don't know if the question has been asked for what I'm looking to do.

Anyways, I want to record a mix and I don't want to use Traktor pro 2. One I don't want to record it as a live performance. Two the recording audio quality is limited.

My production needs are basic considering I'm not creating music I just want to beat match it and use some effects and also use loops like the tracks on Traktors remix decks.

There are a lot of options Audacity, Sony Acid Pro, The Reason, Fruity Loops, Abelton, Mixxx, Mix meister although it's not supported anymore.

What is the best software to use either my S4 or Audio 8 DJ card to record high quality 24 bit mixes. I want to record my announcements too.

The sets typically would be an hour long. I want more effects than just flanger and reverb, & I would prefer if it's fairly user friendly.

So with that said what would you recommend?
    Last edited by stuie66; 12-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.

You said that you want to beatmatch. Isn't that performing live? Anyways, I'd recommend Ableton. You can put in loops like remix decks, record in high quality, use a huge range of effects, and it's easily mappable to your S4. The only problem is you can't "beatmatch" live. Ableton does it for you.

Abelton or Maschine? Can I ask why?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Ableton Live. Hands down.

/thread.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Ok, thank you!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stuie66 View Post
    Two the recording audio quality is limited.
    Exactly how have you determined that the audio quality is limited?

Are you referring to the "built in" recording in Traktor? It will record to "wav" files (16 bit).

My production needs are basic considering I'm not creating music I just want to beat match it and use some effects and also use loops like the tracks on Traktors remix decks.
    Traktor has an "internal" recording feature that will not depend on any external sound card limitations.

What is the best software to use either my S4 or Audio 8 DJ card to record high quality 24 bit mixes. I want to record my announcements too.
    Once you have an analog sound interface output...you have thrown away any "24 bit" advantage. The sound will be going though a D/A converter to be output from the sound card, and another A/D converter to get back to digital. The specs for the Audio 8 show the bit resolution as "16, 24"...so it is unclear if there is any advantage to recording once the signal passes through the sound interface.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get the original 24bit source material? CDs are only 16bit. Most commercial sources for songs also offer 16bit at best.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

hands and ears

Tech Wizard

Yes I was referring to the 16 bit wav option. I've read that the recordings are not loud and to it doesn't sound as good as most DAW programs. I really don't know myself if that's true or not?

I should have tried it out for myself first.

Tech Guru

Yes I was referring to the 16 bit wav option. I've read that the recordings are not loud and to it doesn't sound as good as most DAW programs. I really don't know myself if that's true or not?

I should have tried it out for myself first.
    The level of the signal can be adjusted. And for the record, louder is not better, louder is louder.

It is possible to maintain 24bit in a DAW all the way to the recording. But that begs the question, where are you getting 24bit source material? Unless you are recording your own samples and starting with 24bit...you are worrying about details that do not matter.

It is VERY unlikely that anything you are doing is "worth" investing in a 24bit capable signal chain. No offense...but most "first albums" are made with "crude tools" (by comparison to second albums). I PROMISE that moving from 24bit to 16bit is NOT the thing that is keeping the sound in your head from getting out.

What you have is more than enough to get started. Start. Produce. Make something. Stop worrying about the tech, and worry about the piece of art you are trying to produce.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

ableton is probably your best bet in this case, i use audition to put my ambient sets together, but beat matching is not an issue there.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "