technics Turntables - HONEST opinions required!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default technics Turntables - HONEST opinions required!!!

Can anyone tell me why these turntables are NOT selling???

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71324
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71325

Is it just because they are over priced? What do you guys think is a fair price for a pair of modded 1210's???

Genuinely interested in your opinion, guys (especially the UK massive!)
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I think they're worth it, I personally just don't have the capital to invest in them or I would get em myself

People are cheap as well

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Im guessing the price and mods are possibly putting people off ... selling modded Technics is like selling a modded car, never expect to get back what you put in.

Probably would have more luck shifting them if they were modded back to stock sad to say

And mate they do look fabulous - just my 2 cents on why they probably aren't shifting.

Tech Mentor

Personally, my reaction to them is that the custom decals are disgusting/tacky as hell. I don't understand this culture of 'pimp my ride' when it comes to Technics. They are a CLASSIC design - one of the great all-time pieces of technology of the 20th century (design museums agree). What they precisely don't need is all these modifications, paint, stickers, graphics, crazy LED lights that make the platters look like a kaleidoscope or UFO, etc. I see decks like these on eBay all the time, very heavily modified, and always asking 2x the price of the classic design. I think what you've got to realise is that when you change their appearance so much, you are automatically making them appeal to a much smaller audience (I.e. people who happen to have your exact same taste). I would happily pay £500-750 for some AS NEW condition 1200's/1210's, with all the bodywork intact and unscratched. I wouldn't pay the same for something that looks like a boy racer has had at it.

It's the same reason people struggle to sell their little Corsa hatchbacks after they spend £2k making them look like a Christmas tree on wheels. The vast majority of people don't want to drive it.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by afxz View Post
    I think what you've got to realise is that when you change their appearance so much, you are automatically making them appeal to a much smaller audience (I.e. people who happen to have your exact same taste).
    Truth

Tech Mentor

Personally, my reaction to them is that the custom decals are kinda tacky. I don't understand this culture of 'pimp my ride' when it comes to Technics. They are a CLASSIC design - one of the great all-time pieces of technology of the 20th century (design museums agree). What they precisely don't need is all these modifications, paint, stickers, graphics, crazy LED lights that make the platters look like a kaleidoscope or UFO, etc. I see decks like these on eBay all the time, very heavily modified, and always asking 2x the price of the classic design. I think what you've got to realise is that when you change their appearance so much, you are automatically making them appeal to a much smaller audience (I.e. people who happen to have your exact same taste). I would happily pay £500-750 for some AS NEW condition 1200's/1210's, with all the bodywork intact and unscratched. I wouldn't pay the same for something that looks like a boy racer has had at it.

It's the same reason people struggle to sell their little Corsa hatchbacks after they spend £2k making them look like a Christmas tree on wheels. The vast majority of people don't want to drive it.

Tech Wizard

I gotta agree with afxz.
    That, plus I can't afford them myself.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Can anyone tell me why these turntables are NOT selling???

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71324
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=71325

Is it just because they are over priced? What do you guys think is a fair price for a pair of modded 1210's???

Genuinely interested in your opinion, guys (especially the UK massive!)
    Personal opinion from someone who isn't a trader or anything, but I did have to replace my Technics this year...

It's because they're modded, and therefore vastly overpriced.

A modded pair is worth (to me) much less than a regular pair, even if they're in pristine condition or the sexiest mod ever. This seems to be reflected in the market, and it's the untouched decks that go for the most. So it doesn't look like it's just me.

The mods could be the fanciest most expensive gold plated wonder-components ever, but they'll only depreciate the value compared to the original components. The only mod that might be the exception is a change of the phono plugs.

I guess this is partly because you can't buy the originals anymore (it's a bit like toys still in their boxes), and partly because most of us are capable of modding ourselves if we really want to -- and then we can pick and choose, plus know the quality of the work. All I know about a pair of modded decks is that somebody has been meddling with the insides

Even stuff like the rubber mats and 45 adapters matter (mats are £30 each to replace). A set of decks with all the accessories, even the pointless ones, is a hint they have been looked after.

My conclusion from early this year was that a pristine pair of unmodified mk2 with boxes is worth about £600+, or £400+ in good condition without the boxes. In the end I waited patiently and luckied on a pair of good condition mk5 for £500 cash, and a single mk2 for £150 that looked rough but turned out to be just dirty and needed recalibrating and is now as good as new

I understand that, actually. It makes a lot of sense.

But these are "rescue" Technics. I've nursed them back to great health, and made them presentable.

Now they just need a loving home.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast