DJM 900 NXS Opinions/Info Requested

Default DJM 900 NXS Opinions/Info Requested

I'm considering upgrading from my S4 to a DJM 900 NXS. Currently I'm using the S4, Traktor Scratch Pro with two turntables, which is a great piece of gear for the bedroom. However, I've been asked more and more to play house parties, and I'm just not sold on the build quality of the S4 for traveling. I know people gig out with the S4, but it just feels too toy-like to me to carry out. Additionally, I've got a friend who spins on CDJ's, (older Denons I think he said he had) and we've talked about getting together to play a set or two. In order to do this however, one of us would need something that can take more than two inputs. (he has an S4 as well) Basically, I'm looking for something trustworthy to carry around without potentially breaking and a bit more functionality and flexibility.

I'm looking primarily at the 900 NXS because it's Traktor Scratch certified, so I wouldn't need an additional soundcard, (trying to avoid NI sound cards because the 4-channel cards cost more with Scratch unless I buy it used somewhere) it's a 4 channel mixer, so I could control all 4 decks of Traktor, it's got built in effects so if I wanted to gig with just tables and mixer, my limited use of effects would still be possible, and I really don't see using an X1 for cuepoint juggling or effects (see previous sentence) since I'm not a cuepoint juggler. Plus, I've got an F1 if I want to use remix decks as well. I know there are a couple Denon mixers that offer the same, but pricewise (at least right now) they're not that much cheaper than the 900. There's also the DB4 from A & H, but I really don't want or need jogwheels with a turntable setup, and I really can't see using them if I'm ever gigging without my tables. Plus, it's a boatload more money-wise than the 900. I could also go modular with a good 2-channel mixer, 2 X1's and a soundcard, but that would still come to about $1000. Right now, Amazon has the 900 for $1500 and change and I have $350 in credit card points that I can use only at Amazon, so basically, I can get a brand new 900 NXS for about $1200.

My one concern is recording if I'm using all 4 channels. According to my research, you'd have to connect the Record Out to one of the lines, therefore taking away a line? Is there a way to record other than internally in Traktor in this situation while still keeping all 4 lines available?

Thoghts, opinions, other options?

Thx in advance for your opinions, comments and potentially flames.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    My one concern is recording if I'm using all 4 channels. According to my research, you'd have to connect the Record Out to one of the lines, therefore taking away a line? Is there a way to record other than internally in Traktor in this situation while still keeping all 4 lines available?
    The REC OUT channel sent to your computer will take up one of the upstream USB channels, but it will not take up one of the mixer channels so you can still mix with 4 decks. This is done internally within the mixer settings so no wires are needed.

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...ioneer+DJM-900
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

The S4 is tough enough and actually what I would prefer to bring to a house party. Why? Because people spilling/throwing drinks around. I'd rather have a problem with a S4 then the 900 for obvious (cost) reasons. I had an S4 and now use CDJ2k Nx/DJM900Nx/RMX1k and will absolutely NOT take it to house parties because the risk is too big. I go the Native Instruments modular route for the small stuff.

All that being said, the 900 is a coveted piece of gear for a reason. You pretty much can't go wrong with it. All I'm saying is, after spending all that money, will you be taking it into a dangerous (destructive/wet) environment? If so, and IMHO, I'd go with the S4. The S4 excels in harsh environments, is very portable, and is not a toy.
    CDJ 2000 Nexus / DJM 900 Nexus / RMX 1000 (Crane stand pro holds it) / Traktor +Z1+X1MK2+F1+iPad/Laptop / Ableton 9 Suite / Ableton-Akai Push / NI Komplete 8 Ultimate +Monark & Battery 4 / Novation Launchpad / Akai MPK25 / Rokit 8's / NI Audio 6 / HDJ 2000 / Maschine / Chroma caps!!!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrent View Post
    If so, and IMHO, I'd go with the S4. The S4 excels in harsh environments, is very portable, and is not a toy.
    Lmao the s4 breaks if you look at it the wrong way, had one for a few months and I got fader issues and buttons not responding properly, home use only! And I wasn't abusing it either.

Got myself a djm850 and a proper pair of 1210's. For really small stuff like house parties you can use NI Z1 and x1, much cheaper than an s4

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrent View Post
    The S4 is tough enough and actually what I would prefer to bring to a house party. Why? Because people spilling/throwing drinks around. I'd rather have a problem with a S4 then the 900 for obvious (cost) reasons. I had an S4 and now use CDJ2k Nx/DJM900Nx/RMX1k and will absolutely NOT take it to house parties because the risk is too big. I go the Native Instruments modular route for the small stuff.

All that being said, the 900 is a coveted piece of gear for a reason. You pretty much can't go wrong with it. All I'm saying is, after spending all that money, will you be taking it into a dangerous (destructive/wet) environment? If so, and IMHO, I'd go with the S4. The S4 excels in harsh environments, is very portable, and is not a toy.
    My 2000 has taken more than a few spills over the faceplate, and has been outright dropped by a shitty table a few times. Taking an S4 into a party over a virtually bulletproof mixer isn't exactly a sound idea long term.

If you're looking at a 900 and you aren't using CDJs, you probably actually want an 850. Same certification, less stuff you aren't going to use, $350 cheaper. You'd be looking at sub $1000 if you used your credit.

If you're insisting on keeping the 900 line, Id recommend looking at the new Serato one, it's a neat little introduction into the Serato ecosystem, and lets you sluff off Traktor's bullshit.

Wow, the 850 came down in price. When I looked a couple days ago it was only like $50 or $100 less than the 900 - which was the main reason I was considering the 900, not the 850. I guess I'll see what the prices are tomorrow. Perhaps tomorrow my GAS will have gone away.

Thx for the advice all.

Schalenberg

I see 850s new for $1100 pretty often. Check Amazon frequently. The price is consistently fluctuating.