Pioneer and Traktor....questions from a beginner
    Tech Convert

Default Pioneer and Traktor....questions from a beginner

Hello all,

So, I am new to DJ'ing (as in, I've touched a pair of decks once in my life). I've been taking some courses over the recent weeks, and feel I have a pretty good foundation of the basics. I'm getting a little familiar with Traktor, and have down the basics of beatgridding, looping, cueing, remix decks, using FX, EQing, etc; similarly, I've got a familiar understanding of the basics of mixing and functions of the CDJ's (course I'm taking uses Xone 92 and CDJ 2000's).

And now I'm looking to buy my first controller. My most suitable setup (from an entry level point and cost perspective) will be an all in one. So this here begins my debate: I'm pretty well narrowed down to either an S4 or the DDJ-SX. My first preference is the DDJ-SX. I like the idea of having the pads to make use of the remix deck. But, referring to earlier, all of my knowledge is "from the books." In other words, I can't really see the little nuances the come from actually using the controller/software integration. So I have a few questions:

1) If I go the DDJ-SX route, It'll obviously be mapped. From what I've read there might be some latency issues. I don't really care to do much scratching, so would this be an issue from any other performance standpoint? (and if anyone has any experience with the new DDJ-SX Traktor mapping from Pioneer, I'd love to hear it)

2) The SX is obviously built for Serato, where the S4 is built for Traktor; i.e. buttons won't perfectly correspond if I go the SX route. Now, I feel pretty comfortable with mapping and using modifiers in Traktor, but am I not seeing something that with the physical layout of the SX that might make actual performance a pain? (i.e., not having a dedicated D/W knob, or having one mapped via shift or elsewhere on the board)

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give on my decision as well. Thanks in advance for any help given, and hopefully I can provide some assistance one day!

The rather short answer, in my opinion, is to always go with the propriety hardware/software combination.

If you prefer the SX, then learn Serato.
    | http://cheef.tv - YouTube | Facebook - http://cheef.dj |

Tech Wizard

My best input here is that you should try to go to a store that has them both and look at the difference. Port what you are learning to these devices and see how they fit what you imagine your workflow to be. ASK QUESTIONS. Don't be afraid to ask a question even if you think it's dumb and you don't even plan to buy from them. They will still help and maybe in the future you will come use them for another purchase. From my experience using both software's your Serato experience will be streamlined and simple. Traktor is more robust but also more complicated. To further explain the only reason it's this way is because Traktor just has so many options that to a new user can be over whelming but not awful to learn. I started out on Serato and I was happy I did. It let me focus on mixing and not get to caught up on over usage of FX and whatnot.

Tech Wizard

The best way is to play them both and check which one meets your expectations. We will not decide for you They could look similiar on the photo, but maybe one of them has better play feeling? Also - make the research about advanced functions.

I've tried the Pioneer mapping and it's quite good and really like the way they have incorporated the Remix decks (Sampler)
    And you concern about the Dry/Wet. The 4 knob(BEATS) is mapped to Dry/wet so there is a detacated it's just the last knob instead of the first.
    on the same page where you download the Traktor mapper is also a Hardware diagram that shows what is mapped. I've used my DDJ-SX with Traktor and Mixvibes Cross for about a year now and I'm not getting any lag. I don't scratch (Only a little baby scratch) but the jogs are responsive pitch bending and such.
    Also the SX is closest to a DJM + CDJ setup then anything else on the marked. I play on such setup a couple of times a month.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

this is defiantly something you should look at. good walkthrough of the official tractor mapping
    Hercules RMX 2 Traktor Kontrol F1
    Check out my F1 hot cue mapping https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/1376

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dj gullum View Post
    I've tried the Pioneer mapping and it's quite good and really like the way they have incorporated the Remix decks (Sampler)
    And you concern about the Dry/Wet. The 4 knob(BEATS) is mapped to Dry/wet so there is a detacated it's just the last knob instead of the first.
    on the same page where you download the Traktor mapper is also a Hardware diagram that shows what is mapped. I've used my DDJ-SX with Traktor and Mixvibes Cross for about a year now and I'm not getting any lag. I don't scratch (Only a little baby scratch) but the jogs are responsive pitch bending and such.
    Also the SX is closest to a DJM + CDJ setup then anything else on the marked. I play on such setup a couple of times a month.
    Thanks gullum. You've helped make my decision to start out with the DDJ-SX. Cheers!