Looking for most plug n play Traktor solution for smaller gigs
    Tech Mentor

Default Looking for most plug n play Traktor solution for smaller gigs

I currently have a Xone 92, Traktor Audio 10, 2 X1's and a F1, Macbook Pro. I have a custom roadcase but it still gets heavy.

Am looking for a smaller, more portable, lighter solution which must be reliable. I am looking at something like a Kontrol S4 mk2, or a Kontrol Z2 with an X1. The S4 seems most plug n play and backpack-able! My concern is stability and reliability. This past weekend my X1's froze during a gig but the analog mixer saved the day.

Kind of confused with which route to take....

Thanks

Tech Guru

I can tell you that the S4 is far from "backpackable" cause it's massive. It's definitely messenger bagable though, and I use a Gator bag for mine. Just get an S2 instead?

Also I used a DDJ-SB last night, cool bit of kit for dirt cheap.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

The MC6000 is a more compact 4 channel controller, which has the benefit of being a standalone mixer in case of software crashes.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Cant recommend an S4 or S2, seen far too many of them break. The Mk2 may have improved on these issues, Ive yet to see one in person (I can say my X1 mk2 feels far better built than my original X1).

Z1 + an X1 or X1 mk2 is also a viable and supremely portable option. Considering that you already have 2 X1s and an F1 you could probably keep all your current gear and just grab a Z1. You would then have a portable set up for when when you don't want to haul a roadcase around.

No backup if Traktor fails, but Ive never had that happen irrecoverably in my personal experience.
    Last edited by elmooso; 12-24-2013 at 03:23 PM.

I've used my S2 for shit loads of smaller gigs and never had an issue
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    I've used my S2 for shit loads of smaller gigs and never had an issue
    Friend of mine used one for several years and never had an issue. Its not like there's a 100% fail rate, I've just seen a lot of them go funny after a year or two, YMMV.

Ive personally seen at least 4 S2 units, all mk1 and all owned by different people that had to be sent to NI for service for faulty faders/buttons. I will note that NI covered the repairs for all of them, so its not like you're going to end up out of pocket. Just something to be aware of if buying a used mk1 s4 or s2.
    Last edited by elmooso; 12-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.

+1 for getting a Z1 to add to your existing X1, I've used mine for smaller gigs a number of times now.

Your x1s both froze at the same time? Sounds more like a computer issue than a hardware issue. I would be more concerned with what's going on with your laptop.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1