First Gig - High School Dance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Gig - High School Dance

So, I have my first paid gig coming up. A dance at my own highschool (18, senior). A lot of my friends know I DJ because I've done parties, but obviously this will be different. I love Trap, EDM, Techno and stuff like that and I've put a lot of my friends on it too. Me being from the school, and a member of clubs I do have a lot of say on how the dance works. And I'm trying to make it strictly EDM/Trap Only. Almost like a Major Lazer/Mad Decent Party or show. I'm looking for any ideas, pros cons, suggestions. Anything really! Reply! thanks!

Are you running the dance? or is it school run dance that you were asked to DJ (ie. homecoming/prom)?

I understand it's at your school, but if its a annual dance like homecoming, I can't imagine them letting you play EDM and Trap all night. As much as I would have loved that when I was in High school, there needs to be that variety of top40 and slow tunes to keep everyone satisfied.

However, if you're running the show and you're simply using the school as a venue, than ball out and play what you want, assuming you advertise the event as a EDM/Trap show.

BTW Mad Decent Block Party in Philly is always a good time
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

I actually requested to have the dance, so I do have more control of what happens and what I can play. But, If I bring in a large audience, and the trap isnt working I could switch it up which i have no problem doing. I just love the whole festival/rave scene and I'd love to bring that to my school.

I agree with Emery: if it's a school event, like a homecoming or prom something similar, there's just no way that you'll be able to play EDM/trap. For that, you'll have to play mostly top 40. You may be able to throw some Disclosure-type stuff in there, but that's pretty much it.

Default A "Dance" at my highschool is the giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by djsledge View Post
    So, I have my first paid gig coming up. A dance at my own highschool (18, senior). A lot of my friends know I DJ because I've done parties, but obviously this will be different. I love Trap, EDM, Techno and stuff like that and I've put a lot of my friends on it too. Me being from the school, and a member of clubs I do have a lot of say on how the dance works. And I'm trying to make it strictly EDM/Trap Only. Almost like a Major Lazer/Mad Decent Party or show. I'm looking for any ideas, pros cons, suggestions. Anything really! Reply! thanks!
    That you insert "Dance" and "trying to make it.."

tells me your gut knows the answer to your question already. A DJ that ignores their gut usually ends up being the guy that doesn't get rehired and goes back to bedroom DJ. Unless you're a mad producer with 10,000 followers that are buying all the tickets for your school dance, you need to play to who you have in front of you: lovers of all kinds of music. Make it fun, slip in some effects and samples to make it your own. Blasting the ears of a grop of bumpkins with Kill The Noize that only listen to Colt Ford in their pickup trucks will only get your table turned. Gear isn't cheap, your feelings and daydreams are.bad-dj.jpg

I pretty much am running the dance, being a member in clubs and such. So, I do have a lot of say. And i could always adapt if the trap isnt working or something of that sort. I just love that atmosphere and wanna create that in there.

If that type of music is popular at your school and that is the theme, go for it. But as mentioned, be sure to throw in a good deal of top 40, or top 40 remixes. It might not even be a bad idea to have a pen and notebook out and take some requests. If you have a mic, make a little small talk here and there to interact with everyone and hype them up. After all, these are your friends.

Usually when I do school dances I'll have a friend help me. That way one of us can go through requests and listen to the songs through headphones and make sure that they are clean before we play them. Or mark cue points on the curse words and use a filter or an effect over them when we play them.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Mentor

If you're only gonna play trap/edm and not be prepared for a pissed-off crowd, you're gonna have a bad time!

Make sure you have loads of Flo Rida, Pitbull, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Keshia and Justin Bieber-esque songs. Because you're not hired to play what you want to hear all night, you are there to play what the STUDENTS want to hear. You don't have to listen to me, they don't have to book you again...

Quote Originally Posted by Student View Post
    If you're only gonna play trap/edm and not be prepared for a pissed-off crowd, you're gonna have a bad time!

Make sure you have loads of Flo Rida, Pitbull, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Keshia and Justin Bieber-esque songs. Because you're not hired to play what you want to hear all night, you are there to play what the STUDENTS want to hear. You don't have to listen to me, they don't have to book you again...
    I do have a lot of that music prepared for the mix too! And I understand if the trap isnt working that ill have to adapt and switch it up! But thank you, you guys are helping with the song selection. But, I actually do have a lot of control within the school to play what I want, but obviously I want to please the crowd first.

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Are you running the dance? or is it school run dance that you were asked to DJ (ie. homecoming/prom)?

I understand it's at your school, but if its a annual dance like homecoming, I can't imagine them letting you play EDM and Trap all night. As much as I would have loved that when I was in High school, there needs to be that variety of top40 and slow tunes to keep everyone satisfied.

However, if you're running the show and you're simply using the school as a venue, than ball out and play what you want, assuming you advertise the event as a EDM/Trap show.

BTW Mad Decent Block Party in Philly is always a good time
    I'm running the dance. And I do have a lot of other music prepared not just edm and trap i suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast