Kontrol S4 - Mapping help needed - Complete Starter PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Tech Convert

Default Kontrol S4 - Mapping help needed - Complete Starter PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi Folks

I've had my S4 for around 6 months, only just making the leap to digital from vinyl and CDJ's. Pretty up to speed with the basics of the S4 and now trying to explore some of the more advanced features like mapping.

I'm trying to create a 'super FX' button to help create build-ups by mapping several FX onto a single FX knob and sad to say I'm falling at the first hurdle.

I've read all the posts I can find and all seem to make the process sound really simple but I just don't seem to have the same options available in my controller manager...

To be specific, I'm looking to achieve something like this:

In terms of setup, I'm using an S4 Mk1 with the latest Traktor Pro 2.6.6.

I enter the controller manager and create a Kontrol S4 device rather than amend the default.

It's at this point I get stuck, in the Youtube video above, a 'Chained FX' option is selected from the 'Add In' button. I'm assuming this process has been replaced in the later versions of Traktor, so I have tried to explore the other options...

- I click Add In > FX Unit > Knob 1 to select the first FX knob
    - Then click learn and twist the knob, Traktor then picks up the correct knob

- At this point I'm looking to select the Interaction Mode as Direct (which i've read elsewhere) and then select the appropriate FX from a list to control but I don't have that option???

I see a Fader/Knob section below which has only 'Soft Takeover' and 'Invert' tick boxes....

I'm assuming I'm missing a fundamental step but have read the Traktor manual and searched these forums but can't find anything that helps???

Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a complete starter guide or point out where i'm going wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Can you elaborate more? your entire effect list is empty, or you simply can't see effect selector commands to make new entry ?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Can you elaborate more? your entire effect list is empty, or you simply can't see effect selector commands to make new entry ?
    Hey Stewe

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I have since downloaded the TSI file from this post and had a look at how it has been built up.

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=72470

It looks as though an 'Effect Selector 1' command is used, which allows selection of FX. I was clicking:

Add In > FX Unit > Knob 1 - and looking for the effect selector within that command. I'm assuming mappings aren't built up that way? Could you please give me a steer on the basic principle i.e. select the effect first using Effect Selector Command, then 'learn' the mapping of that to a knob on the s4?

Am I right in thinking I need to Select 3 FX using the Effect Selector 1,2&3 commands, 'learn' these to my FX Knob 1, then overlay the wet/dry to the same knob and look to turn the effect on using the button underneath. I'm essentially looking to create a super effect knob that I can turn on which combines the peak filter, reverb and ice seen in the video I posted earlier.

Does that make sense?

Thanks a lot for coming back to me, much appreciated! Once I'm up and running with the basic flow of mapping i'm sure I'll be fine, just struggling to get started and can't find a beginner step by step guide! I tried to import the Ean Golden DJTT S4 mapping but doesn't seem to be working so once I know the basics I can try to start building some of these things myself. Haven't yet played with an FX on the turntable!

Adam

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    When I look at the 'Effect Selector 1' command, I can select 'relative' which gives me some options around rotary sensitivity but still nowhere to actually select an FX to trigger.

I'm guessing the commands need to be built up in a string of sorts - do I need to create a modifier first etc etc?

Change where it says knob to button. There should be a drop down menu there to do it. Then below that it should say hold now with a drop down menu. Change this to direct. Now the menu should appear at the bottom that let's you choose the fx.

Quote Originally Posted by adamshin View Post
    Hi Folks

I've had my S4 for around 6 months, only just making the leap to digital from vinyl and CDJ's. Pretty up to speed with the basics of the S4 and now trying to explore some of the more advanced features like mapping.

I'm trying to create a 'super FX' button to help create build-ups by mapping several FX onto a single FX knob and sad to say I'm falling at the first hurdle.

I've read all the posts I can find and all seem to make the process sound really simple but I just don't seem to have the same options available in my controller manager...

To be specific, I'm looking to achieve something like this:

In terms of setup, I'm using an S4 Mk1 with the latest Traktor Pro 2.6.6.

I enter the controller manager and create a Kontrol S4 device rather than amend the default.

It's at this point I get stuck, in the Youtube video above, a 'Chained FX' option is selected from the 'Add In' button. I'm assuming this process has been replaced in the later versions of Traktor, so I have tried to explore the other options...

- I click Add In > FX Unit > Knob 1 to select the first FX knob
    - Then click learn and twist the knob, Traktor then picks up the correct knob

- At this point I'm looking to select the Interaction Mode as Direct (which i've read elsewhere) and then select the appropriate FX from a list to control but I don't have that option???

I see a Fader/Knob section below which has only 'Soft Takeover' and 'Invert' tick boxes....

I'm assuming I'm missing a fundamental step but have read the Traktor manual and searched these forums but can't find anything that helps???

Can anyone out there point me in the direction of a complete starter guide or point out where i'm going wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!

Adam

There is a djtt mapping for the s4 that already does this with a number of the effects and maps it to the jog wheels. See if that already dies what you want our look at the mapping files?
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    There is a djtt mapping for the s4 that already does this with a number of the effects and maps it to the jog wheels. See if that already dies what you want our look at the mapping files?
    Yeah, do this. Then, you can actually easily change some of the presets to your own combos if you don't find exactly what you like. The mapping structure will already be there; you'll just have to alter a few parameters rather than start from scratch.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    Yeah, do this. Then, you can actually easily change some of the presets to your own combos if you don't find exactly what you like. The mapping structure will already be there; you'll just have to alter a few parameters rather than start from scratch.
    Hi, thanks for the response guys. I tried to import the DJTT mapping but it doesn't seem to function correctly. Shift + jog wheel is meant to allow you to select from the FX sets when the FX mode is activated but for me it still skips through the track and doesn't seem to activate the FX...

Is there a guide somewhere that outlines the basic principles of mapping, what the initial steps are I need to go through or can anyone give me any pointers?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post

Scratch that guys, i was importing it incorrectly. Sorry, i'll have a play and see if it has the functionality I'm after and come back if I get stuck, thanks for your replies though!