Streamlining Vinyl Ripping Workflow with Traktor Scratch Pro 2
    Tech Convert

Default Streamlining Vinyl Ripping Workflow with Traktor Scratch Pro 2

I am hoping you guys can offer some tips to help me streamline my workflow when ripping vinyl. About once every few months I get the urge to spend some time recording my record collection, and I never feel like I am doing it the way NI inteded. Here's an overview of how I am currently doing it, and the pitfalls I have encountered so far:

1) Record track into TSP v2.6 using Audio 8, adding Title tags as I go. I typically record a block of only about 10 tracks to try to better manage my clunky process.

2) Grab a screen capture of the list of titles in the Recordings folder, then go into Windows Explorer and change the Filename of each track in the list so that I can recognize the track outside of Traktor (I.E. in MIxed in Key). Can this step be done inside of Traktor? I haven't had much luck in the past.

3) Point MIK v6 to the new .WAV files in my Traktor Recordings folder and process. I have been using MIK for years, and while I love the fact that Traktor now does its own key tagging, it quite often gives me something completely different than MIK. So for now, to keep things compatible, I still use MIK even though it creates more work.

4) Go back to Traktor Recordings folder and update comment, key text, key fields for each track manually (hence the need for a recognizable file name). This is a pain, and I would convert the WAV files to AIFF first if there is an easy way to do that.

5) At this point, because Traktor adds recordings to the Track Collection automatically, my tracks are ready. Except that the file location is still in the Recordings Folder, and that bugs me. (Should it??) I want them in my root directory (music library/traktor/collection) because I like the simplicity of only backing up that one folder. I have yet to find a simple way to move them, and hope someone can offer a suggestion. Typically I copy the files from the Recordings folder into the Collection folder using Windows Explorer, but that results in duplicates that I have to deal with. I have also tried selecting the new tracks in Traktor's browser and using Relocate, but that made a huge mess last time.

Would greatly appreciate any help. I've been using Traktor for about five years, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

Tech Wizard

To deal with point 5, you could try recording into different software.

If you use Audacity (which is free) you can record one long file with as many songs as you want. Once you've finished recording you can add markers to indicate the start and end of tracks, and batch export the whole lot as individual files, complete with names and tag info to whatever folder you want.

You could achieve the same thing if you record into Ableton as well, though the exporting process isn't as straightforward.
    Last edited by olisharp; 02-02-2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by olisharp View Post
    To deal with point 5, you could try recording into different software.

If you use Audacity (which is free) you can record one long file with as many songs as you want. Once you've finished recording you can add markers to indicate the start and end of tracks, and batch export the whole lot as individual files, complete with names and tag info to whatever folder you want.

You could achieve the same thing if you record into Ableton as well, though the exporting process isn't as straightforward.

What he said.
    Dump Traktor as a recording point. Use a dedicated software to create individual files on your HDD (and in the folder of your choice). Then use Mp3Tag Studio to batch tag info (filenames to artist, title fields etc.). Batch analyze in MIK to add key info (I use KeyFinder and put my key info in comment field) then import to Traktor.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2