Feeling like you are NOT A GOOD DJ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    It's not you man, no need for hard feelings. I'd have jammed with ya, I get some nice dance moves going after a few cocktails
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Thanks man.
    You should see my Friday gig man, sometimes it's legit, and sometimes these people really just want to hear shit like Garth Brooks, etc. So depressing. Thankfully the bar owner doesn't give a shit what I play and loves House, so I just roll with my shit.

Tech Mentor

NYE, St Patrick's, Weddings (insert holiday where parents get a sitter here) the guests are mostly amateurs not ravers. IMO, I think you have to pretty much play what they will dance to vs. your regular set.

I had an experience once to play a variety of genres. I started of with some good house, transitioned into some disco house and then for a bit hit some 90s freestyle. Shortly after, i had someone come up to me and tell me am i going to play anything else besides music that sounds like the radio (where i am from, radio stations will frequently play 90s freestyle in mid afternoon). I felt offended but i just reminded myself not to take anything to heart. When you're djing, you're not just playing music, you're setting the mood for the dance floor. As advised, definitely have some variety in your playlist for times when you need to switch the tempo and energy. Sometimes it can get dull if you play the same genre for more than 15-30 mins depending on your slot time.

In the end, you live and you learn from these experience. Sometimes its not you at all, but the crowd can be different from one night to another.

Definitely have experienced that it does suck but keep doing your thing if you love it. I do also, I think in general people take DJ's for granted unless you are a big name DJ with a following, so keep working and building your rep and skills!

Tech Guru

You can't appeal to everyone and sometimes crowds just arn't keen for a dance and it doesn't matter what you play

It happens to everyone. Don't beat yourself up over it.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    When in doubt, run the trap.
    /thread
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12