Feeling like you are NOT A GOOD DJ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Feeling like you are NOT A GOOD DJ?

Do any of you feel like this after a gig??

To round up the story...

I play resident at a 'chain venue' in my city... Fridays at on of the clubs and Saturdays at the other... The Fridays are always hard work... Tough crowd/ no crowd and the Saturdays are absolutely amazing everyone is dancing and loving life...

I've just done a New Year's Eve gig at the Friday night venue, and it was the worst gig of my year!!!! (Shouldn't be right that should it??) its normally not very busy and great anyway but tonight nothing I played connected with the people in...

Between me and the other dj (my best mate) we play a mix of house, hip hop, garage and funk and at least every week one of these genres connects with the people in and we can work our night around it....

Now the sat nigh venue is always busy and we have a good night, but the Friday night venue is soo different were starting to think we're not actually any good and that we only have a good night on sats because there is already and always will be people in dancing....

Am I wrong in thinkin this???

P.S happy new year to all
    Technics 1210 mk2 Pair, Pioneer DJM600, Traktor Kontrol x1, NI Audio 6, NI Maschine Mikro MK2, MacBook 2009, iPad 2 with Traktor DJ, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure M447's

When in doubt, run the trap.

Tough crowds happen. Try different tunes. Even trap...but I've seen that clear dance floors faster than beiber at a frat party.

Everyone has tough nights, just roll with it, they were all drunk, and it was new years. Your next gig will feel so much better now.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Schalenberg

Happened to me on NYE. Played a private gig from 10-1pm and was told to play what I play. No one danced, except the club owner. Felt pretty bummed. Still feel pretty bummed. Sometimes it's just not the right crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Happened to me on NYE. Played a private gig from 10-1pm and was told to play what I play. No one danced, except the club owner. Felt pretty bummed. Still feel pretty bummed. Sometimes it's just not the right crowd.
    What did you play?

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    What did you play?
    Disco House.

Tech Mentor

Sometimes when I am playing sweet nobody knows it, and other times I knowingly sucked and got tons of compliments. One time the crowd pissed me off and I started purposefully not mixing and just pressing play. I got a ton of compliments which made me even more pissed. When you are doing open format this kinda thing happens. In reality a horrible DJ with okay track selection is fine for most pop gigs. If nothing I am doing is working, even when it blew up the club before, I start playing ridiculous tracks. Chubby Checker, Di%$ in a Box, Hey Mickey, Venga Boys or whatever is funny or stupid. Try walking around and asking people what they would like to hear as well. Peace.

Disco House.
    Love it, but they probably got bored after like 30 minutes. Whenever I want to play funky shit it only works for so long, then I have to gradually bring some harder tunes in. This is in a bar scene that is, clubs are a different story.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Love it, but they probably got bored after like 30 minutes. Whenever I want to play funky shit it only works for so long, then I have to gradually bring some harder tunes in. This is in a bar scene that is, clubs are a different story.
    I played an hour of Disco, an hour of Discoey House, and finished up with more 90s style/garagey stuff. I didn't blame them; they were asking me for Salsa. Still felt butthurt though. It happens.

I played an hour of Disco, an hour of Discoey House, and finished up with more 90s style/garagey stuff. I didn't blame them; they were asking me for Salsa. Still felt butthurt though. It happens.
    It's not you man, no need for hard feelings. I'd have jammed with ya, I get some nice dance moves going after a few cocktails

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast