"<filename> could not be played due to a missing or corrupt file"

Default "<filename> could not be played due to a missing or corrupt file"

I just got a new laptop the other day, and after successfully transferring my entire music library, I'm now getting these messages in Traktor for multiple tracks that used on a regular basis.

The aforementioned tracks still play inside itunes, but not in Traktor.

I went back to my old computer and these tracks played fine in Traktor and iTunes.

The other problem I've experienced is that iTunes forgot some of the metadata on my tracks forcing me to reset the artist, genre, etc.

Has anyone had this problem, or know why it happens?

I found a "knowledge base" on the NI site, and I'm currently working on it but was wondering if anyone here has a solution.

Tech Wizard

I would presume that file types that aren't playing are all the same. I would assume that QuickTime has installed on your machine as part of ITunes (which I don't use, so I'm not 100% sure) but generally its pre-dominantly Apple file formats that tend to have problems playing and usually because of QuickTime not being installed

Quote Originally Posted by Morior View Post
    I would presume that file types that aren't playing are all the same. I would assume that QuickTime has installed on your machine as part of ITunes (which I don't use, so I'm not 100% sure) but generally its pre-dominantly Apple file formats that tend to have problems playing and usually because of QuickTime not being installed
    You mean the AAC files? Thing is one of my tracks that used to play in Traktor but doesn't anymore is an AAC file. You think if I installed quicktime it would fix it?

I'm in the process of using the software on here but it's taking forever to load all my songs.

Tech Guru

You need to install Quicktime separately (even if you have Itunes) to use AAC in Traktor.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You need to install Quicktime separately (even if you have Itunes) to use AAC in Traktor.
    I had to install Quicktime in compatibility mode because there's no Quicktime for Windows 8 and it still isn't working. Is there anything else I have to do? I opened and played the track in Quicktime, and then dragged it to Traktor and it still doesnt work.

If this doesn't work I'm going to burn all my AAC tracks to CD and then upload them back as .WAV's but that's A LOT of work (not to mention money) and I'd rather avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I had to install Quicktime in compatibility mode because there's no Quicktime for Windows 8 and it still isn't working. Is there anything else I have to do? I opened and played the track in Quicktime, and then dragged it to Traktor and it still doesnt work.

If this doesn't work I'm going to burn all my AAC tracks to CD and then upload them back as .WAV's but that's A LOT of work (not to mention money) and I'd rather avoid that.
    I was wondering why the "create MP3 version" option wasn't available anymore, and figured out it was because of my import options.

Now I can convert all the aac files to MP3's and play them in iTunes.