Sample transitions - which is better?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Sample transitions - which is better?

I have two songs with similar lyrics/titles:

Tiesto - "Take Me"
    Cash Cash - "Take Me Home (Fareoh Remix)"

I'm trying to get creative with the transition for a mix I'm working on, so I am looping the Tiesto vocals "Take Me", and slamming into the "Take Me Home" of the 2nd song.

I have attached samples of the transitions here, which sounds better?

#1 transitions from the middle portion of song A, into a buildup of song B. #2 transitions from the same middle portion, but right into the drop of song B.

#1: http://audiour.com/playlist/c4fhiano
    #2: http://audiour.com/playlist/qwqqx0gb

Let me know which sounds better, I can't decide!
    Last edited by WilmDJ; 01-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Tech Wizard

I think the 2nd one sounds cleaner.

The second one sounds better yeah, it does need some extra energy though... Try adding a riser sound to it or something

Mixcloud | Soundcloud | Facebook | Website(Dutch)

I mean, i would REALLY like to wake up and have boobs one day but there are reasons that just wouldnt work - Antifmradio

Quote Originally Posted by WilmDJ View Post

I'm trying to get creative with the transition for a mix I'm working on, so I am looping the Tiesto vocals "Take Me", and slamming into the "Take Me Home" of the 2nd song.

Let me know which sounds better, I can't decide!
    I think both tracks are nice. I hope you don't mind if I bust your chops a bit and ask you questions cause I live for this stuff. I am so glad you posted this.

Ok here we go- I am trying to break apart what you did in order to reconstruct it. It seems to me that the "take me" before the slam may be an acappella that you added an fx to? the original mix has the keys behind it. It seems like you pre-edited it before?

Anyway, I like how they go together.

My suggestions- it all depends on what your goal is in terms of "creativity" - is it an edit or live transition?

If it is live, then there isn't much creativity that the crowd will catch because it flows so well together in your 2nd mix that in the "moment", the subtle difference won't make that desired impact.

But if you are pre-editing, and want to go for a "safe" transition, I would let the take me go for one more bar then drop cash cash.
    If you are going for a creative live transition, I would loop the take me, adjust the lows until kill while using the delay, then drop cash cash.

But if you are going for a true creative pre-edit, I would extend the "take me" and use the automation envelopes and slowly introduce the fx you have while cutting the loop every 2-4 bars, add a riser, and loop the cash and drop the beat as a build.

But again, I am not sure if you are going live or pre-edit- if you can inform.

Thanks.

Tech Wizard

This is going to be part of a mix I am putting together, which is why I am worried about how clean it sounds. I agree with it not being noticeable etc "in the moment". I am not doing any type of editing, just using Traktor Pro S4, fairly new to the stuff.

So you are saying loop the 2 bars of "take me" for a 3rd time, and then slam right into the drop?
    Last edited by WilmDJ; 01-03-2014 at 02:19 PM.

^^

First thing is you have to envision yourself dancing. Believe it or not, subconsciously, people count bpms in their mind. Just like when dancing salsa, people have to know their steps. That is why old school salsa dancers don't like their music mixed because it throws off the steps.

yes, the thing is when you are "pre-editing" you have all the time in the world to create that "in the moment impact". But considering that you are using traktor, you may have to record it twice.

So I would loop the take me at 8 bars. Right now you have take me at 3 bars then it drops. It is unexpected. If you want to keep it simple, leave it as such, but add one more take me and drop it. That is playing it safe.

But if you want to be "creative" without an editor- loop it for 8 bars which means you will have to add take me 5 more times and record it (but in WAV). Then re-record it looping the drop kick of cash cash at 1/2 for the first 4 bars then 1/4 for the next but cut it right before the drop that you recorded the first time (all while using your filter fx). This will be your second recording in WAV.

Then you can convert to mp3.

its hard to put it on paper.. lol

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the feedback colione.

The one we are referring to (http://audiour.com/playlist/qwqqx0gb), I currently have the 1st song "Take Me" playing regularly and then a 2 beat loop for this song, which I loop through twice, and slam into the 2 beats before the drop of the 2nd song "Take Me Home". (Both lyrics happen to be 'take me'). So the 2 beats of lyrics directly before the drop are actually those from the 2nd song.

Should I loop through the 2 beat loop 3x rather than 2x before slamming?

Ex: TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 2, DROP --->>> TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 2, DROP
    So this: http://audiour.com/playlist/qyx0wqt5
    Last edited by WilmDJ; 01-03-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Tech Mentor

Sorry if I confuse you, but as far as audio quality, IMO the first transition sounds better. As far as the transition itself, I do like the second one a bit better, but right when you switch to the Cash Cash song (in the 2nd example), the vocals sound thin. Maybe it's just the song itself. Either way a nice choice for slam transition.

Quote Originally Posted by WilmDJ View Post
    Thanks for the feedback colione.

The one we are referring to (http://audiour.com/playlist/qwqqx0gb), I currently have the 1st song "Take Me" playing regularly and then a 2 beat loop for this song, which I loop through twice, and slam into the 2 beats before the drop of the 2nd song "Take Me Home". (Both lyrics happen to be 'take me'). So the 2 beats of lyrics directly before the drop are actually those from the 2nd song.

Should I loop through the 2 beat loop 3x rather than 2x before slamming?

Ex: TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 2, DROP --->>> TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 2, DROP
    So this: http://audiour.com/playlist/qyx0wqt5
    I would go with TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, (take me 2, take me 2), DROP
    () represents the TAKE ME right before the drop. So two & two. Because just the one is too sudden and disrupts the flow subsconsiously.

Or I would go with TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1, TAKE ME 1 and leave out TAKE ME 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast