Help With Setting Up In Club!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Help With Setting Up In Club!!

I have my first club gig next month and was wondering how i would set it up to the clubs mixer, using my controller.

I'm doing a shared gig with a friend ill be using my controller while he uses the CD J's. Now i'm not sure how to set up so we both can play without the music stopping so hell play on the CD J's's for abit then ill play on my controller for abit!

I DJ at a local pub and student union and plug into a mixer or a pa mixer and its really simple, i use a cable (RCA to aux) RCA into the back of the mixer and aux into my laptop! so easy (i think its rca anyway)

And i obviously just hook my controller to my laptop, jobs a goodun.

Would this be the same in a club using CD J's while someone may be on before or after me?

Tips would be appreciated!!

RCA out of your controller to a line input on the house mixer. If it's a 4 channel then have the CDJ's on 2 channels and your controller on a third. DJ all night long. If it's only a two channel mixer then you need an aux input OR you've got to switch out one channel with your controller when you want to play.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    If it's only a two channel mixer then you need an aux input OR you've got to switch out one channel with your controller when you want to play.
    90% of inputs on mixers these days are stacked, usually with a line/phono switch. Its entirely possible to just patch into a CDJ's channel, and flip the switch back and forth depending on who's playing.

Only if it's 2 line inputs per channel, you wouldn't want him plugging into a phono input. The only reason I say this is based on his questions. I get the feeling he's not entirely up on signal flow and connections.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    RCA out of your controller to a line input on the house mixer. If it's a 4 channel then have the CDJ's on 2 channels and your controller on a third. DJ all night long. If it's only a two channel mixer then you need an aux input OR you've got to switch out one channel with your controller when you want to play.

I also need to buy a cable, would it be RCA to RCA? At the moment at my local bar i dont plug anything into my controller apart from the usb for power to my computer, wat i use at the moment is i think an RCA from the mixer to aux sterio cable into my laptop. Would it be better comming from my controller into the mixer rather than my laptop?

I guess if i can use the way iv been using for a while it would be easyier for me. It doesnt really matter?

RCA from mixer to aux into laptop VS RCA from mixer to RCA into controller. Or doesnt it matetr?

Sorry for the rant

You need an RCA cable. Aux in on the house mixer will likely accept RCAs, so you'd go RCA out of the controller to the the AUX input on the house mixer. You'll have USB from the controller to your laptop. If you already go RCA to aux at the pub you DJ, you shouldn't need additional cables.

SirReal pretty much explained it as well as possible. I'm just re-spewing what he said. The only potential complication is if the house mixer is a 2-channel mixer. Then you're going to have to plug in both CDJs to the house mixer, and unplug the one he isn't using and plug in your controller right before you take over. Or he'll have to start on a CDJ on the "other channel" you're not using, then unplug your controller and plug in his other CDJ if he takes over after you. If it's a 4 channel mixer, you should be good to go for all three at once.

Ask if you can get into the club to see what they have, and how you'll hook everything up.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    You need an RCA cable. Aux in on the house mixer will likely accept RCAs, so you'd go RCA out of the controller to the the AUX input on the house mixer. You'll have USB from the controller to your laptop. If you already go RCA to aux at the pub you DJ, you shouldn't need additional cables.

SirReal pretty much explained it as well as possible. I'm just re-spewing what he said. The only potential complication is if the house mixer is a 2-channel mixer. Then you're going to have to plug in both CDJs to the house mixer, and unplug the one he isn't using and plug in your controller right before you take over. Or he'll have to start on a CDJ on the "other channel" you're not using, then unplug your controller and plug in his other CDJ if he takes over after you. If it's a 4 channel mixer, you should be good to go for all three at once.

Ask if you can get into the club to see what they have, and how you'll hook everything up.

That sounds easy enough, at the moment i use RCA plugged into the mixer to aux plugged into my laptop so the other way around from wat you suggested. Is this still possible in a club enviroment?

So you don't cue up the music you're going to play next? Then you probably shouldn't be playing anywhere at all, sorry if that sounds harsh....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    So you don't cue up the music you're going to play next? Then you probably shouldn't be playing anywhere at all, sorry if that sounds harsh....
    No to cue up aswell, wat has confused you?

You have two separate stereo outs in your laptop? I somehow doubt that....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast