Scratching with Vci 100. No prior experience

Default Scratching with Vci 100. No prior experience

Hey, I'm sure there are a bunch of topics like this but sometimes it's better to start your own then search through tons of other answers and only sort of find the answer your looking for.

Anyways, I just got the Vci 100 and I've looked up scratch tutorials on youtube and such but their all geared towards turntables and since I don't actually have a record I'm having trouble translating them to the Vci 100. Can someone explain to me the basics of scratching using a vci 100? What technique should I use?

Thanks, Misha
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Tech Wizard

Bump, I also would like to be able to use my vci-100 for scratching but I can't find anything about it...
    Electro House

[Podcast] Adrian P : Bangin' On Ya System

Subscribe!

Hey

well the short answer is exactly the same as with a turntable. There was a thread the other day and the general consensus is Q-Berts lessons which are available on DVD and i think also kicking about YouTube are a great way to go. After that its just practice practice practice

I would however recomend getting a turntable as well and working with both at the same time. You're in a lucky position of not being set on either one, and if you only learn on a VCI the different feel of a turntable will thrown you and will feel alien to you, and vice versa if you learn on a turntable you will struggle on a VCI.

learn on both at the same time however and as well as learning what all the different scratches are and how to work the crossfader you'll also get to know the differences of each method and how to compensate and modify your technique so you'll be able to do either!

(lol and yes there ARE lots of topics already about this and searching first is ALWAYS the correct thing to do! :P)

k
    Last edited by kevinmcdonough; 10-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.

Tech Mentor

Here's the thing... you're using a vci-100, not a turntable. So, treat it like a vci-100!

Drop your favorite scratch sample on a spare deck with a gater, flanger, and beatmasher ready to go. Turn the gater on, move the wheel back and forth, and voila! instant transform scratch. Turn the flanger on and you get instant james zabiela, turn the beatmasher on and get stuff nobody could ever do with a turntable.

Of course, having some basic old school knowledge can only help... so, learn how to baby scratch, then learn a transform, then maybe try to learn a flare or some other advanced scratch. The problem with more advanced stuff is that it's a lot easier when you've got a spinning platter with stickers on it so you can see exactly what's going on, all the same, here's a fairly brilliant tutorial for learning a flare -> http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198035

Good luck

Default Re: Scratching with Vci 100. No prior experience

I used to do some pretty cool scratch patterns with the vci by using the gater. just move the jog back and forth with one hand and fiddle with the speed knob on the gater (make sure the dope knob is at full), and just make a rhythm using the speed. makes you sound like you're doing crazy fast scratches
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Right now I can't afford a turntable to scratch on so that's out of the question. And before I start playing with effects and such I need to lean the basic scratches and get better with the crossfader I guess...
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    Here's the thing... you're using a vci-100, not a turntable. So, treat it like a vci-100!

Drop your favorite scratch sample on a spare deck with a gater, flanger, and beatmasher ready to go. Turn the gater on, move the wheel back and forth, and voila! instant transform scratch. Turn the flanger on and you get instant james zabiela, turn the beatmasher on and get stuff nobody could ever do with a turntable.

Of course, having some basic old school knowledge can only help... so, learn how to baby scratch, then learn a transform, then maybe try to learn a flare or some other advanced scratch. The problem with more advanced stuff is that it's a lot easier when you've got a spinning platter with stickers on it so you can see exactly what's going on, all the same, here's a fairly brilliant tutorial for learning a flare -> http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198035

Good luck

hey,

while i totally understand what your saying, i would always suggest putting in the work and learning to properly scratch first.

Some great time saving methods and effects can defo be made by using the advantages of Traktor, thats why we're all here, but I would argue that unless you have spent a little time and know what a crab is or the difference between an original flair and a two click orbit flare, then you're not gonna know what sound your looking for and how to get there using effects or whatever.

And obviously you also wanna be able to do stuff that's totally unique to Tractor and that you could never do with vinyl but knowing the basics and the ground rules would let you combine and master both.

Just like beatmatching, you're always gonna be far better at using the sync button to beatmatch if you have already put in the time to master manually beatmatching and know all the ins and outs and exactly what your aiming for.

k

Default Re: Scratching with Vci 100. No prior experience

yeah if you really want to excel at scratching then I fully suggest to start from the ground up. I was simply suggesting an easy way to integrate it into mixing. regardless, one of the good things about the vci is that the crossfader curve is fully controllable, and you can even invert it, either in traktor by changing the highlighted deck on either side of the crossfader, or by doing it physically on the vci (I did this on accident once when I took it apart :P). the latter however is a bit more permanent :P good luck though. it'd be cool to see more scratch/turntablist (jogwheelist) djs on digital controllers.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

checkout the Dj Ant videos on youtube, he does the vci-100 justice imo. i think vestax should hire the guy to help market them, if i could afford to buy one i would because of seeing how well Ant uses them.