Ableton user looking for a new controller: Push or Maschine? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Yeah, I really wish I'd bought the uc33e years ago looks like a great bit of kit, saw one for 20 quid the other week on gumtree, msg'd the seller but the guy didnt have time to post it apparently.

Also the new novation launch control looks alright, if extremely plasticky.

Livid instruments Alias 8 looks pretty interesting, looks like it is built pretty tough with a nice amount of faders rotories and buttons, if a bit pricier.
    The livid 8 looks great, but it far out of my price range for what I need, I just need a simple controller really, don't even need portability, just rotaries and possibly faders.. looks like the BCR 2000 is the only thing that will do the job really!

Kind of surprised that there aren't a million options for this!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Tech Mentor

Without question, the PUSH is what you want. Seamless integration with ABLETON aside, it comes damn close to being an instrument in its own right. It's my 2nd favorite piece of kit of all time.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    Without question, the PUSH is what you want. Seamless integration with ABLETON aside, it comes damn close to being an instrument in its own right. It's my 2nd favorite piece of kit of all time.
    It's all just personal opinion, I would like to try out Push, but have to say Maschine is a fantastic bit of kit, and although its not reinventing the wheel, what it does do it does very well.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    It is notable that I already have a midi keyboard, so coupled with the Ableton suite I think Maschine may edge out Push for drums/percussion?

I'd love to know what your 1st favourite piece of kit is too!
    K B R I D G E

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Livid instruments Alias 8 looks pretty interesting, looks like it is built pretty tough with a nice amount of faders rotories and buttons, if a bit pricier.
    I own the livid ohm rgb slim and I can vouch for the build quality. Livid builds nice stuff...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kbridge View Post
    the UC33e is the exact kind of thing I'm looking for, shame it was discontinued!
    Got a used one myself, didn't have any problems so far. It's plastic but quite sturdy, and the prices are mostly reasonable.

The BCR is great, but I use by BCF more. Flying faders are fun.

You code also look at Code -
    http://www.lividinstruments.com/hardware_code.php

Tech Wizard

It is notable that I already have a midi keyboard, so coupled with the Ableton suite I think Maschine may edge out Push for drums/percussion?

I'd love to know what your 1st favourite piece of kit is too!
    That is my workflow and it is extremely relevant. I usually start in maschine to get ideas down for drums and synths, then when I find something I am relatively happy with I bring the midi into ableton and work on arranging it from there. I mainly do melodies with my keyboard in ableton because 16 pads isnt really that great for chords and such. The actual maschine software has a bit of a learning curve if you are already familiar with ableton's workflow, but I got it down pretty well in a week or so and there are plenty of youtube videos that will help you get started (and show you how easy it is to bring your midi from maschine into ableton as well).

What I like most about maschine is that I can literally close my laptop and just jam right from the hardware, its just awesome for quickly getting ideas down that turn into full blown songs later.
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Quote Originally Posted by lemeiux1 View Post
    What I like most about maschine is that I can literally close my laptop and just jam right from the hardware, its just awesome for quickly getting ideas down that turn into full blown songs later.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for, I want to get my drums made and played quickly, then I can always substitute drum sounds out if needs be etc, this is perfect.

when you say you export the midi, I'm assuming you keep the drum sounds from Maschine.. is this done through soloing and dragging?
    K B R I D G E

Tech Wizard

This is exactly what I'm looking for, I want to get my drums made and played quickly, then I can always substitute drum sounds out if needs be etc, this is perfect.

when you say you export the midi, I'm assuming you keep the drum sounds from Maschine.. is this done through soloing and dragging?
    kind of yes, you can bring in a group or just an individual sound. basically you would load maschine as a plugin in ableton, then you would focus either the sound or the group and use the drag and drop icon to drop it on a blank track in ableton. The software creates midi clips in ableton automatically. Then all you have to do is set the channels in both ableton and maschine and you are done. It seems confusing at first but once you've done it a couple times its very easy
    Mix Setup: Traktor Kontrol S4 // Midi Fighter Spectra // Retina Mabook pro 13" // Traktor Pro 2.6 // Crane Stand Plus // Beats By Dre Studio + Solo HD
    Production Setup: Ableton Live 9 // JBL LSR 305 Monitors // Korg Microkey 25 // Maschine Mikro // Massive // Kontact // FM8 // Zebra 2 // Sylenth1
    Nostalgia Setup: 2 Stanton STR8-80s // Vestax PMC-06pro (Signed by Qbert himself)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast