What's a reasonable amount of payment for a 3 hour long set? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

for me 100 an hour is the "i do it because i love it" price.

if they want me to play top 40 well, that's gonna cost em.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    for me 100 an hour is the "i do it because i love it" price.

if they want me to play top 40 well, that's gonna cost em.
    Thats pretty much how I feel about it, yet I usually tell people up front, "I dont play ANY top 40, I dont even know whats hot right now."
    However, people asking me to DJ somewhere is generally because they heard me at some event or party etc.
    Most of the time I can say, I'm gonna play what I want, and then give a generalized list of genres.

Personally I dont like doing club gigs very much.
    I find the majority of the random club public has high expectations for music I dont like.
    Now if some friends are doing a themed night at some bar or club, I am WAY into that and if I dont have to bring my PA, I dont expect much money.

I do like playing specialized parties, like work parties, birthday parties, mardi gras parades, art gallery openings, trade show events, etc.

I have a goto quote.
    $300, any thing over 3 hours is another $100.

I try to decide whats it's worth for me to show up with all of my gear, set it up, play and tear it down.
    Sometimes I get the feeling someone is expecting less money, and the event they are trying to do sounds fun, and could possibly get a lot of business, maybe I don't need to bring my PA or anything. In this case I would play it by ear and maybe offer a much lower price.

Sometimes I get a gig through somebody who refers me as a DJ, and they will tell me "these people got money."
    Sometimes I charge more, like some corporate event kind of thing. I know I am gonna have to play stuff a little more normal as well.

Sometimes an event or party is pretty huge, and I will get offered, lots more than my usual quote,
    thanks Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Yeah, no jokes. Cause of course I'm young and patrons think "sure, the dj is a jukebox anyway, who gives a damn"
    Sounds like you're getting taken advantage of in that kind of mindless way.
    Maybe you've started to believe you are nothing but a young jukebox.
    You could command a different self image.
    At 40 bucks a lawn, I could mow 7 lawns, in 7 hours and put that $280 towards new gear.
    When I was young people use to try to take advantage of my graphic design skills.
    Tell those people to give you what you're charging, and if they say no, YOU say NO.
    If they do pay you well, you better give them what they paid for.

Tech Convert

I think it's really up to you, and you should gauge it on what number is going to make you feel really good and excited to play the set. The exchange is important so that you feel like it is worth your time and energy, and as other people have mentioned, this can vary from gig to gig depending on many different factors. Ask yourself the question, and whatever number you feel in your gut right away, I say go with that one. You'll be able to feel if you are selling yourself short, or selling the client short. Trust yourself
    Macbook Pro // Traktor Pro // Xone DB4 // Xone K2 // Kontrol F1 // Maschine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123