What's a reasonable amount of payment for a 3 hour long set?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What's a reasonable amount of payment for a 3 hour long set?

Recently started at university, and to my surprise the market for DJs is much more open than I had anticipated. And being here only a couple months, I've gotten more gigs than ever. Very little competition.

Along with this, I've begun getting paid for these gigs, which is a lifesaver.

Now, I "advertise" myself as an producer DJ. I'm pretty accustomed to playing in lineups, where my set is usually an hour, and never more than an hour and a half. This is all on CDJs.

I've been getting booked by the university's club that puts on parties and events/dances.

They now want me t play at an upcoming back to school dance event. They will be providing speakers, lights, etc. All I am providing are my CDJ's and music.

They want me to play a 3 hour set, and asked me how to much I would share. Which I've never really done before.

I'm not sure what a reasonable amount is for that? I don't want to charge too much, but I also know I need to set a level of quality, to sell myself as more than the frat party beatport top 10 DJs.

Tech Mentor

This is kinda an open ended or loaded question that you ask of us. The variables for a DJ's payment can depend on so many things. The simplest answer to this would be why not charge twice what you do for an 1.5 hr set + a bit more for it being a bigger event.

to determine how much you feel you should be paid think of how long you search for those bangers each day, how much you spend on tracks. How much you have spent on gear and the wear n tear. Your physical time djing for them, set up, take down etc. and fraction all that out into one gig! its a personal thing. As you aren't bringing speakers or lighting, your price per hour would be less then mine.

$300 for 3 hrs? Just curious OP how much have you been getting from other gigs?

work your self out a standard fee, regardless of the length of set.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

lol my first club gig ever, i played a 4 hour set for $40 haha..... times change

Tech Mentor

Whatever you do, present them a value. If you can't deliver a value, why would you expect anyone to buy your product? On your invoice, list your time separate from the equipment. It's not like CDJs are cheap. You gotta charge something to haul them out of the house. $300 seems legit for a tiny plug n play bar gig but not for a massive student party. Got insurance?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    work your self out a standard fee, regardless of the length of set.
    This sounds smart.

Tech Convert

One thing to also consider, is how much money the event is generating, that way you can gauge how much to charge. However, other things that factor into price involve equipment provided, work required, and other things that coincide with the gig.

Personally, I tend to charge differently depending on the economic situation of the client (not in all cases, but it can be a good tool to use). I'm not going to charge a regular mobile gig what I would charge for a corporate party, even if I'm providing the same exact equipment for both gigs.

But as always, justing echoing what @HigherFi said, you always have to value yourself, your equipment, and your time. You might be charging a premium, but you are providing a premium as well.

200...300 hundred if other people are using your CDJs...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    300 hundred if other people are using your CDJs...
    300 hundred? That's like $30000!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast