how to get this dirty flithy sound? (bloody beetroots, john roman)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default how to get this dirty flithy sound? (bloody beetroots, john roman)

basically this is my question. : )

i want this hard hitting sound which most people would define as "fidget house".

so, yeah i got massive and ableton, give me some tutorials.

greets

Find an example track on youtube and give a minute:second count of the sound you are looking for, then maybe we can help.

Specifics are useful!

pick a sound. distort it. sidechain it. done!

Tech Wizard

Around 1:12 there's distorted vocals, is that what you're looking for? In that case try the vinyl distortion and/or overdrive, redux. Might be a limiter as well and obviously it's also cut up for the stuttery feel (which is really common in fidget).

As far as basslines go start out like rjw suggested, sound > distortion > sidechained compression. You can start with a fairly plain bass patch and then just distort it to taste. Or you can make it filthy from the start, easy in operator, but I'm not familiar enough with massive to know.

massive is quite a task to learn (read: massive learning curve) and get a hang of, but playing around in it can't hurt. there's a TON of potential. sorry i can't really provide any tutorials relating to the sound you want, but better to make your own anyway..!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

pick a clean sound destroy it by cranking a realistic compressor to it limit, put a limiter. Bounce it. Sample it. Thats it.
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

Tech Convert

I have a couple patches i made in massive that are a little fidgety, as everyone says distort and compress with sidechaining, however, I find that saturation style distortion works better, and if you are using massive try putting a saw or triangle wave on top of a square wave in your osc's, the square can go low and provides the bass while the other makes the fizzy top end its how bassline house, and ac slater style stuff is made, the subsonic square is the important part to the patch
    Ableton Live 8, Traktor, Pro Tools 8, way too much hardware, software synths, and guitars...

myspace.com/riotthedj

Tech Mentor

Use multiband distortion. That way you preserve the low end while distorting the crap out of the high band.

You could hit the unison button on almost any pre-2k digi-log synth and create that tone rather easily... any novice with an FM synth can create dirty nasty tones with a quickness.. NI Massive is way overkill for simple tones because it is designed to sound great (go figure) use some cheap free stuff.. well, there's no pretty lights.

remember: Distortion is compression/ limiting... read up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast