Request: Psytrance noob tips for traktor manipulation
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Request: Psytrance noob tips for traktor manipulation

Hey - ya!
    I'm seeing the psy-people rising from the underground lately, so I wish to ask:

1. What Traktor 1.2 effects do you like to use at your gigs?
    2. Do you use smart knobs with chained effects? Examples?
    3. Since I'm using the new Oxygen mapping, do you use slice often? Should I remap this effect to something better? I alredy have Delay, Filter and Beatmasher mapped.
    4. Do you copy the decks to apply a effect to the highs or lows only? How can i do that without mess with the volume and equalization of the mix?

Thanks in advance

Tech Guru

DvlsAdvct, sarasin, Jester,
    help me here please

Hey dude. Well i cant speak for the others but with psytrance i try to go easy on the effects, mostly i just use looping, a bit of filter, phaser and delay. I like to let the tracks speak for themselves with this genre as it is my love and don't want to make an awesome track sound bad! I think less is more with this style buddy I like the new effects in 1.2 but i need to experiment with them a bit more before i use them while playing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Hiya,

Well....I have not played out with it YET!
    21 of NOV!

But so far....I am layering my trax and using the beatmasher on the non dominant one.
    Works well, but in moderation.

I use the delay a lot too.

Then I scratch (yep...scratch) over the psy as well....with a couple FX running. Makes for cool FX and sounds. Helps if you can cut on the fader well.

Like Jester says....Psy is a very FULL sound....so layering and adding FX is tricky.

I have playing it for so long.....I just do things that i feel are needed on the fly...naturally.

The more i use my VCi....the more intuative it all becomes.

So yeah.....the answer.....like usual....is PRACTICE!

Just keep playing
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Hiya,

Well....I have not played out with it YET!
    21 of NOV!

But so far....I am layering my trax and using the beatmasher on the non dominant one.
    Works well, but in moderation.

I use the delay a lot too.

Then I scratch (yep...scratch) over the psy as well....with a couple FX running. Makes for cool FX and sounds. Helps if you can cut on the fader well.

Like Jester says....Psy is a very FULL sound....so layering and adding FX is tricky.

I have playing it for so long.....I just do things that i feel are needed on the fly...naturally.

The more i use my VCi....the more intuative it all becomes.

So yeah.....the answer.....like usual....is PRACTICE!

Just keep playing
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

sarasin you'll like playing around with the new slicer breakbeat psy brother!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    Hey - ya!
    I'm seeing the psy-people rising from the underground lately, so I wish to ask:

1. What Traktor 1.2 effects do you like to use at your gigs?
    2. Do you use smart knobs with chained effects? Examples?
    3. Since I'm using the new Oxygen mapping, do you use slice often? Should I remap this effect to something better? I alredy have Delay, Filter and Beatmasher mapped.
    4. Do you copy the decks to apply a effect to the highs or lows only? How can i do that without mess with the volume and equalization of the mix?

Thanks in advance
    I'm with Jester on this one... I don't like to mess with the artists original intention of the song too much... I do long layered mixes, a bit of looping. Only effect I really use a lot is the echo on my djm800. I might start looking at some of the traktor fx once I get a new laptop w/ a bit more horsepower.

m.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    sarasin you'll like playing around with the new slicer breakbeat psy brother!
    Yeah....i have checked it out slightly....have not been able to tame it yet!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

With Psy I've been really minimal in my effects. I have an advanced chain of Iceverb/LoFi/Reverse Grain that gives a really interesting feel on buildups, which is where I do a LOT of my mixing in Psy.

I also have a beatmasher/beatslicer/delay t3 advanced chain that is really good for breakbeats.

I also use a gater, beatmasher and delay in advanced mode to taste for different things. The gater I might get rid of for something else. These are all tied to superknobs
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ahh yes....I be LOVING the Iceverb.....very SMOOTH innit?

I need to experiment some more tho.

Specially with them SuperKnobs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast