What are you biggest frustrations?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default What are you biggest frustrations?

Hey how's it going everybody? I'm curious to know what are some of your biggest frustrations/troubles with DJing? This can really be anything: track organization, trouble with transitions, getting consistent gigs, basically anything DJ related I want to hear about it.

To kick things off I'll start with 2 of my biggest frustrations

1) Track organization: track organization has become such a pain that it paralyzes me to even think about organizing my library. I also don't get as much new music as I probably should because I know it's just adding to the pile. I find track organization is especially difficult if you're a multi genre DJ (I do a lot of mobile/wedding gigs alongside club/lounge gigs). I may go a couple months without a mobile gig and think to myself man I just want to get rid of some of this stuff then bam i'll need it for an upcoming mobile gig.

2) Moving beyond 2 decks: I've had the F1's since they launched, and like most of you, I was blown away at the possibilities, however it was soon obvious that the F1's require a very different thought process. It's not as simple as FX or transitions. It requires a lot more conscious effort about what you're using in there, and it's also a lot more difficult to plan how to smoothly get out of the remix decks without losing the vibe. Currently i'm still trying to figure out the best system/workflow for using the remix decks that will give me consistent results.

So those are my big 2 right now, what are yours?

track organization is scary for me too. because i almost have almost 90,000 tracks now.

the best solution i have discovered, is to build my sets in spotify and then search my library to see if i have those tracks.

Tech Mentor

I would say Flares and crabs. Crazy difficult to flare in my oppinion
    For all my VCI-100 lovers view my step by step guide to moding your very own VCI-100 Arcade edition
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=56270

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Want to get better? Two words... jesus pose. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Bad systems

Tech Guru

1210's always having 1 or more issues in clubs, and..

Feedback, seriously annoying.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    track organization is scary for me too. because i almost have almost 90,000 tracks now.

the best solution i have discovered, is to build my sets in spotify and then search my library to see if i have those tracks.
    Speaking of large libraries and streaming services, I believe Phil over at digitaldjtips now relies on streaming for day to day listening and keeps a super small library for DJing (500-1000 songs). I've considered this route but this seems difficult if you're a mobile DJ.

Dealing with DJs that bring their entire bedroom setup like X1s, S4, Laptop and stand, etc.

Also, when said DJ places his gear on top of the CDJs and acts like it's no big deal.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Dealing with DJs that bring their entire bedroom setup like X1s, S4, Laptop and stand, etc.

Also, when said DJ places his gear on top of the CDJs and acts like it's no big deal.
    Or when CD cases/equipment placed on turntables!
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Quote Originally Posted by amadeus View Post
    Or when CD cases/equipment placed on turntables!
    Such a joke.

Tech Mentor

I need a new mixer and I cant decide.
    Considering I like to practice scratch DJing at home with vinyl, but I do paying gigs mostly as a mix DJ using Traktor.
    Should I break the bank and save for a Xone DB4 or DB2. Seems pricey for all digital mixers, yet they are feature packed and look like a lot of fun and a long term investment that could prove to be worth the peace of mind.
    Maybe a Xone 92, and put an innofader in it?
    Or just get a battle mixer and some small controller for a few Traktor functions.
    Im waiting to see what comes out around NAMM time.

I would love to see a simple 2 channel analogue standalone mixer, good for scratching, EQ's, built in filter for both channels, and 2 aux sends. Possibly Midi out and a few knobs to map to software.

The closest bet seems like the Rane Sixty Two, or Sixty one.
    However, I really love the way A&H EQ's and filters sound, I dont have a way to try any Rane mixers to see if it sounds good to me, at least good enough to justify the price.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast