Which effects work for transitioning?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Which effects work for transitioning?

Coming from no effects at all, I'm finding myself using them more and more recently to add some umph to tracks (obviously). Right now I'm messing around with reverbs and flangers. My question is: what effects/combinations of effects work when transitioning between tracks? I'm curious to hear some techniques some of you incorporate.
    Last edited by Schalenberg; 01-13-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Tech Guru

Delay/Echo can be used to freeze out a track when you can't otherwise find a good transition point.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Delay/Echo can be used to freeze out a track when you can't otherwise find a good transition point.
    I would've never thought this would work. I always use the Echo for build-ups. I'll give it a go later on today. Thanks!

I don't DJ much so not sure if this is a common thing. But I would keep a filter down sweep in my remix deck. A sweep is that long "whoosh". It's not an effect, but it really cleans up transitions if you have to do a freeze verb or other abrupt transition.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    I don't DJ much so not sure if this is a common thing. But I would keep a filter down sweep in my remix deck. A sweep is that long "whoosh". It's not an effect, but it really cleans up transitions if you have to do a freeze verb or other abrupt transition.
    Distortion Combined with Iceverb and echo freeze and HP filter for a drop into a breakdown

Tech Wizard

beatmasher works great too but not with the dry wet/effect at 100% just enough to keep a little bit of track A going until your ready to bring track B in full (best when both tracks are the same/close to the same bpm). With regards to delays/reverbs I find they work best when the setting for the effects is on post fader as it adds a nice tail to the end of the track for better blends.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    flangers

Reverbs and delays are pretty much the only effects I ever use (not that I use them often) - reverbs for space and delays for some drama. A good trick that Eats Everything does is the following: 1.apply a wet delay with a long feedback. 2.Pull down fader and quickly lower the feedback 3. Bring back the track. 4. Repeat

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by DISaS73R View Post

Reverbs and delays are pretty much the only effects I ever use (not that I use them often) - reverbs for space and delays for some drama. A good trick that Eats Everything does is the following: 1.apply a wet delay with a long feedback. 2.Pull down fader and quickly lower the feedback 3. Bring back the track. 4. Repeat
    Eats Everything is one of my faves. Thanks for this.

Tech Guru

Yeah, he's absolutely sick! Check out his boiler room if you haven't ( ), there's quite a lot to be learnt there.

Tech Guru

Filters. Bit of an obvious one but for long mixes with loops or rolling techno or house tracks throw a high pass filter on track 1 and bring in the track 2 increasing the amount of filter on the first track as you bring more volume and bass in from the new one.

Another good one is to filter the first track for 4 or so bars and then bring the second one in filtered as well, hold them in the mix for a bit and then slowly reduce the amount on track 2 to 0 and then reduce the volume slightly on the first track, hold them in the mix for a few more bars reducing the volume on track 1 to 0 on the first break down or change on track 2.

When using the filters especially on pioneer kit only apply a small amount as it chops the volume down allot and anything past 2-3 o clock on the Pio filters doesn't sound very good imo. You might need to adjust the level/gain on the channel as well.
    Last edited by LoopCat; 01-14-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast