My next setup?

Thread: My next setup?

Default My next setup?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I am very interested in anyone's and everyone's advice, as I am trying to figure out which setup I want to use next.

I have been a "bedroom DJ" for quite some time now, playing just for fun with Traktor and a Reloop Mixage IE. I really liked the combination and had a lot of pleasure mixing music at home with that "All-in-One" solution! Recently, I had my first gig in a real club. It was fun, scary and exciting, and I am looking forward to my next gig!

I don't really like bringing my Reloop to clubs, it sometimes does not really have room in the booth and I would like to use the club's Mixer (most likely a DJM-900). My Mixage broke, so I am now looking for the next setup, and very interested in the modular setups of NI.

My first idea was to get a Kontrol X1 and a Kontrol Z1, which would be a great improvement from the Reloop Mixage with a better integration with Traktor, the possiblity to bring just my X1 to the club and, the possibility to take just my Z1 with an iPhone or iPad when on holidays, the possibility to replace/extend parts of the setup, etc. The main idea would be to have a cheap mixer/audio card (the Z1) to train at home, and use the better mixer/audio card (DJM-900) when in the club, always with my X1 for transport.

It does sound alright, doesn't it?

Now I have recently been attracted by the Remix Decks of Traktor, and all the new creative possiblities they offer. And lucky me, I have a Launchpad around and found a great mapping for it on DJTT.

I now wonder: does it make sense to use the X1 for two Track decks, the Launchpad for two Remix decks, and the Z1 as a mixer? Will I be missing anything? Do I need a 4 channel mixer if I have 4 decks? What is the cheapest way to properly cue/EQ/mix these 4 decks when practicing at home? And what if the club has a non-Midi mixer, do I then need an external Audio card like the Audio 8 to plug each deck to a different channel on the club's mixer?

All remarks, suggestions and criticism are welcome!
    Help me buy the right thing...

I believe there are 4 deck mappings for the Z1, so the Z1 might be a good choice if you can remember what decks you're on. I just wish they had a 4 channel Z1. You would need a soundcard though, unless you mix on the Z1 in a club or if the club's mixer has a built in soundcard.

The setup you're looking to move to is near identical to what I'm wanting to move towards as well. I currently use my s4 for home studio use and smaller gigs that don't provide an in house mixer/tables. Tired of lugging it around though, and looking as well to move towards modular setup of a z1/x1/f1 for smaller gigs, and then like you, use the x1 for transport only should a Traktor certified mixer be available.

With that setup, and a default mapping you'll have two full deck control, and the Launchpad mapping should give you the ability to control both remix decks. The only issue I can see, is you won't have volume control over the main faders on the remix decks(unless you can map it separately), however the f1(and the launchpad with that mapping) should allow volume control over the individual remix slots.

I'm also looking at picking up an additional soundcard, Audio 6/8, for use should a Traktor cert mixer not be available. My goal is total flexibility and the ability to pick up and play anywhere.

I am pretty sure I want a X1 for two track decks/effects controls, and am fine with the mapped Launchpad for the remix decks...

But I am still hesitating:
    • Get a Xone:k2 and map it as a 4 channel mixer
    • Get a Z1 and be happy with it
    • Invest in an expensive mixer (DN-X1600 or DJM 900)
    • Get a cheaper mixer and a separate audio interface (e.g. Audio 10)