OT: Creative People most productive at night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default OT: Creative People most productive at night

Hello everyone since everyone here is a DJ and clearly has some creativity I was just wondering when do you find that you are most productive. It is 3 AM where i'm from and I can't seem to make myself stop working. If sleep were not an issue I'd never stop. For some reason i'm only like this at night, during the day i'm very unproductive. I also find i'm full of ideas in the late hours and feel like anything is possible, this is when I feel like I move forward in life with new ideas. Anyone else?

i am the same i think its just something about night time
    as the whole world switches off apart from you your not "working" dealing family rushing round all day etc...,your mind has time to releax and you think alot more at night when its just you and your music,forever the night i say

Tech Guru

im up till 6am every day for that very reason.

plus its nice when you live in orange county. i can drive with no traffic, grocery stores are open here and there 24/7. and im never too tired to go to a club =p
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Yeah man I'm exactly the same. During the week I work from 9 - 5 (I'm a SQL Database and Application Developer - Boring shit!), I get home at around 6, feel well knackered 'cos I stayed up all night so laze around a bit or do stuff I've arranged to do with peeps/girlfriend/whatever, you know the jig... Then I'll get a spark at around 10, then start producing or mixing or something at 11 then it's a steam train from there!

It's hard to find the will power to get to bed before it's too late, what with 'work' and all... Grr bloody modern slavery!

Default Re: OT: Creative People most productive at night

I know how you feel dude(s). yesterday I even made the conscious decision to put off work on a track until later that night, because I "knew" that I'd want to work on it then. also maybe due to wanting to sleep at that particular time since I had been up the night before, doing the same thing. :P but I think some people just prefer that kind of peace, when everyone else is asleep, it makes for a relaxing work environment. no phones ringing, people yelling outside, etc.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

It seems that I'm most productive either really late at night or really early in the morning. For whatever reason I can't do the afternoon/middle of the day thing. I guess in either case I have to be tired to a certain extent.

Good point though, it's odd.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

hey

Have to agree i've been the same for the last 10 years.

I've always thought it has a lot has to do with body rhythms, because DJing is such a late night occupation you get used to being active and working at that time, and your body gets trained into it. Even if your not actually a working DJ you most likely go out to clubs and stuff and enjoy the music so that's still one of your most active times of the day, when your enjoying yourself and having fun and thinking creativly and your body gets used to that.

Probably also to do with the general lifestyle we lead. Creative people very rarely have a regular 9 to 5 job that they have to get up for early every morning, normally they have a bit more flexibility and have the option of working through the night when the passion really catches them and they're really focused on a project.

If i have to get up early for a day job (like 7 or 8 am or whatever) I'm like a burst couch, no use to anyone. Once i finally get myself out of bed and get a shower and stuff i wake up enough to get through the day and can do a good job at whatever i'm doing, but like other people have said come 6-8pm i take a real dive and am falling asleep on the couch. Then 9 I start to wake up and at 10pm i'm bright as a bell and its my most productive time of the whole day, 10-3am or even up to like 6am if i'm really into what i'm doing and focusing properly.

LOL, i cant even go to the gym before about half 8 cos i have no energy and only get half a work out done. I usually aim for getting there between half 8 and 9 so and then be finished at maybe half 10 and even after a full workout i'm the most awake i've been all day

Staying up working on something to 6am is perfectly natural to me but then by the same token there are plenty of people I know who wake up bright and awake at half 5 or 6 am, and that's them for the day. they get their house cleaned and washing done and loads of stuff done, and THEN leave for work. Then they're home, dinner watch a bit of TV and in bed before 10, just when i'm warming up

LOL i'm far more awake at 6am or 7am from the night before than I could EVER be waking up at that time.

k

Tech Guru

6 am! u guys are dedicated. I think part of it might also be when u think about it, most people have a day job that generally takes up about 6 to 8 hours everyday. So to really "your time" and "your life" you have to meet that same amount in doing things you want to do. It's almost better to get into a habit of staying up late and getting things done as oppose to waiting for most peoples day off or typical 2 week vacation in a year.

Exacty the same for me. I set up a session to work a remix at Sunday 5pm. I fussed around to get things going all night. Nothing. Around 1am, inspiration hits and I go from 1 good loop to a finished remix in 3 hrs. Too bad it was 4am, and bad to be at my day job 8am Monday.

same here, i think its because you can focus easier when its night time, and nobodies up to bother you. at least thats my outlook.
    I ♥ Tech-House
    Dell Studio 1537: 2.26GHZ, 4GB (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit) Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.1: 2 Numark TT-200, Stanton M-505 Mixer, 2 Mackie SRM-450 Speakers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast