Jog Wheels - what do you use them for?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jog Wheels - what do you use them for?

So I'm trying to figure out how to shape my ideal Traktor set up. I started out on a crappy BCD3000 and an M-Audio Axiom25. Now I'm looking to move on to something better.

I can't decide whether I need jog wheels or not, though. The only thing I ever used them for on the BCD was to do on-the-fly beatmatching for tracks with varied tempos, which didn't happen often because of effective beat gridding.

Anyway, was just wondering how/if you all use your jog wheels. If so, what do you use them for, and how essential are they to your set up?

I'd hate to not have jogs. just for cueing up the track but also for scrolling through it.

Also for having to jog the tempo of a track on the fly.

Also for little bits of echo scratching.

But mainly for spin backs!!!!!! long cheesy ass echoey spin backs haha
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

scratching and cueing for me. i couldn't live without them...

Quote Originally Posted by djmaxone View Post
    echo scratching.
    +1. shit is dope
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Currently using them for effects controllers, works really well but I've not 100% finished mapping yet so will probably move.
    JOHN SHIMA | LIVE RADIO SHOW
    ALTERNATE SUNDAYS 8PM - 10PM (GMT)
    DETROIT TECHNO | DEEP HOUSE | BLEEPS | ACID
    www.future-music.co.uk

Tech Mentor

touch sensitive ones can come pretty handy if you add multiple mod layers to them ie: beatmaching, searching through the track (I hate 'mousing' around) scrolling through playlist, fine pitch adjustment if the fader is too short, filter and key set etc. etc. etc. Of course many of these functions can mapped to an endless push rotary too (and of course you could just use buttons for nudging instead of jogs) but then again there are not that many controllers that have these.

Maybe if you`re not into wild fx manipulations that need this kind of tactile controll you might check out the Behringer BCR, which has LOADS of endless rotaries, gives you the opportunity to map out four decks and is kind of affordable. It doesn't have line faders though but many people on the forum really seem to like it

Tech Mentor

I agree jogs are a must.

Cueing and scrolling plus I scroll through my tracks with them and of course for pitch bending.

In my opinion it feels a little awkward not having some sort of jogs. Like I couldn't only rock an oxy8. something about the jogs just feels right.

i use mine for track cueing/seeking, and when vinyl mode is toggled off they control wet/dry on FX unit 1 and 2
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

I use mine for beatmatching and nudgin tracks back and forth in phase and a backspinn now and then, I like the feel of it, and as I have made Traktor send midi out to the leds around the jogs I get visual feedback on all 4 decks in tempo
    my music : www.soundcloud.com/themaxive

Traktor 2.5 Audio 6 midifighter classic x1
    vestax PMC-CX
    midifighter pro SUPER KNOB's runnin beatmasher mapping + some other custom stuff

Seek Position
    Jog Scratch/Tempo Bend
    Chained FX Dry/Wet
    Browser List Up/Down
    Showing off my spinning carlsberg trick!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast