How to organize myself?

Default How to organize myself?

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and hope to spend a long time with you guys.

I'd like to ask you how to organize my music for djing. Im currently using two CDJ 400 and a DJM 600. I don't know wheter should I use a pendrive/cd, software or not... Its a complete mess to transfer files to a usb everytime I get new tunes.

I've heard about rekordbox but, as far as I know, is not compatible with my hardware.

What would be ur recommendation? I'll be grateful with any kind of help.

why not use both? you can use software for practising at home and setting playlists, then when you have a set you can export the tracks from your playlist to a pendrive.

The way I organise is place all my downloaded files in one folder, then on the first listen I tag each song with the genre, subgenre, rating, energy of the track and where I think it would fit into a set. once that is done I use a plugin to write the data to the ID3 tags and place the track in real genre --> subgenre folders. I think another good tip is to be very strict on what you give a 5 star rating as it's easy to fall into the trap of having a library full of no star and 5 star tracks.

I let filter folders in VDJ manage finding the new tunes I have recently bought or the bangers that I have in my collection when it's the right time to play one. And because I have detailed enough comments with a strict naming system I can use filter folders to find a list of tracks that might fit with the current one.. The only job left is picking the right one.

But organising is never finished. Everytime I play a track I rate it again if it needs updating when I am in a different mood.

In regards to transporting your playlists I can only speak for VDJ but that saves playlists in M3U format which can be opened in itunes|winamp|media player and easily placed on a pendrive.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    The way I organise is place all my downloaded files in one folder, then on the first listen I tag each song with the genre, subgenre, rating, energy of the track and where I think it would fit into a set. once that is done I use a plugin to write the data to the ID3 tags and place the track in real genre --> subgenre folders.
    which plugin?

I would connect the 2 CDJ-400s to Traktor and route the audio to the mixer (no sound card needed). I think this video shows it :

Like this, you can practice easily without having to burn CDs or anything. When you decide to do a set, I would do as synthet1c said and use USB keys.

When it comes to organizing my music, I have a Beatport folder in my music folder. That's the only folder that Traktor loads when I open it. In that folder, I have a subfolder for every date I bought music. When I get new music, I place the songs in the folder, then process them in Mixed in Key. I then upload them in iTunes and tag them properly. After that, I open them in Traktor and fix the beatgrids, add cue points and add more tags. I then add the new tracks into different playlists I have or start new ones, depending how I feel.

The thing with organizing music is that you have to find what works for you. Different people have different workflow. And your workflow will change when you get more music and more experience. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    once that is done I use a plugin to write the data to the ID3 tags and place the track in real genre --> subgenre folders.
    which one?

Finally, what Ive decided to do is to mix by mapping my stuff to VDJ. This way I can still beat-match without help and have all my music in a big screen, so it is pretty easy to look for the appropiate track.

I will do what you guys tell me about song properties (artist, album, genre, year, energy of the song...).

Thank you very much to both of you