Help find anniverary music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Help find anniverary music

Hey guys I've got a 25th anniverary gig coming up next saturday. This isn't my type of scene by any means but it will give me good crowd reading experience. I have been given the request by the host to play polka music and your stereotypical wedding/anniversary songs. My question is where the hell do I find polka music, my grandmas record collection?

Dude, polka? I think you're on your own there, so... Good luck with that.

Seriously though, it is possible to put together a mix of some smooth jazz, soul ballads and oldies if you have a large enough catalog to dig through. Billie Holiday, Dave Brubeck, London Jazz, Nat King Cole, Louie Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and some Ratpack Lounge standards, dropping into a dose of swing.

Treat it like a downtempo chill set and concentrate on textures and sounds rather than beats and grooves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qBo0x9PD5g

Why not stick a house beat behind this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li1dtJ6jC4w
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 10-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Research music on Youtube, buy it on Amazon MP3 downloads (it's amazing what they have in their back catalogs - don't discount them just because they do pop).

You'll easily be able to hook yourself up with 40-50 tracks for $50 in an evening.

Im about to host a wedding anniversary party as well. I have no experience and this is typically not what I do on any case but I thought I try my hands at it since it is my friend's parent's 50th anniversary. I also think it would be kind of cool to try something new, I mean this is just another element of DJing, so why not?

I am wondering what I could expect, what should I know, how much songs should I be prepared for, and any other pointers you may have?

I am meeting with my friend to discuss about it and just want to know what I should ask (this is also a paid gig, so I how should I price myself?)
    DJ: Pioneer DDJ-SX // Sennheiser HD 8 DJ
    Production: Macbook 15" // Ableton // M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI Keyboard // KRK Rokit 5 x2
    Soundcloud ii My Setup

Schalenberg

Marvin Gaye, BRO.

To do these mobiles, for the older crowd. You need a MASSIVE back catalog of tracks you have never even heard. Its not easy.

If its a 25th, i'm assuming the people are in their 40's so yes be prepared to play smooth stuff, but also your gonna need to play funk, disco, line dances, even a little bit of classic rock.

Have the Polka music ready, but dont play it unless the specifically ask for it during the event. Everybody thinks they want to hear it, and as soon as you play it everyone realizes how dumb it sounds, and you will clear the dance floor. TRUST ME. Keep it limited to maybe one or two polka songs.

How long are you going to be there for I assume 4-5 so I'd price it at $300 say your'e throwing in the extra hour for free (everyone loves a discount)

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...58.hRxJVD2cDpU
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

start mellow jazz, but not hardcore jazz - Kenny G type stuff.

Older R & B is always good.

This is always good for weddings/anniversaries with older crowds once they get drunk enough: http://www.amazon.com/Jive-Bunny-The.../dp/B000002JNE

Mix in some older country as well.

Oh, and ask the anniversary couple what kind of music they like beforehand so you can prep with the right music. Any mobile gig should have this step as part of their prep.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    How long are you going to be there for I assume 4-5 so I'd price it at $300 say your'e throwing in the extra hour for free (everyone loves a discount)

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...58.hRxJVD2cDpU
    For parties like this I'd would honestly charge more than that, especially if your lugging around an entire sound system.

lol grooveshark polka music

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast