spilled beer on my vci 300!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spilled beer on my vci 300!!

yea some beer got spilled on my vci 300.. sux!! the right platter malfunctioned.. scratch mode not working..
    anyways i got home.. unscrewed the platter screws n cleaned it up a lil with a cloth.. now it seems to working fine...
    beer got spilled over the right deck eqs.. and the right pitch slider..
    i think there's still beer under the black cover (the top face plate??) coz when i press the top edge of the vci 300.. beer comes out.. i've pressed and taken out as much as i could for now..
    i'm worried abt the eqs and i gotta run the vci 300 again n check if all's well.. there was a hissing sound on the headphones.. but i think its coz i'm using a old pair and sometimes i need to move the headphone jack so it sounds proper.. this is prolly just the headphone issue.. otherwise its all good..
    any suggestions as to what should be done n all.. please..!!
    Last edited by lifeloop; 10-09-2009 at 04:22 PM.
    MBP 13", VCI 300, Itch 2.2, TSP 1.2.4, VCI 400 EGE, TSP 2.6, HD 25

You need to get a good maintenance cleaner (Solvent) to remove, dust grime And the beer.

To make sure there isn't any traces of beer on the circuit boards, I use Blue Shower II made by Tech Spray on all my service work.. on the Pots and Faders use Deoxit brand (Faderlube)

Not sure of the acidity contents of beer but if anyone seen what coke does to a penny you can imaging what it does to circuit boards.....

Observe special handling of the circuit boards (Static Electric). never helps to have one of those grounding straps...

wait till the solvent completely evaporates before applying power to the vci...

I work in television Engineering so i have seen a lot when it comes to things spilled into equipment

The blue shower can be had at any electronic supply house, (Mouser, Allied, Newark)

Well I have a gig to do tonight so ill be away from the internet....
    Let us know when you clean it up how it went...

Its always a good Idea to have an emergency kit most roadies and sound guys always have this stuff in their toolboxes. you never know when these things happen
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 10-09-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

|www.poweralleydj.com||www.myspace.com/dj-tim|

Tech Mentor

This works for most electronic devices. Put the VCI in a plastic bag with rice. separate rice from the unit with mesh cloth or a steeping bag. The rice will absorb the moisture.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by lifeloop View Post
    beer got spilled on my vci 300
    sorry if this adds insult to injury, but it's just way to funny...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGppj1PdZlA

ok.. so i got home.. unscrewed the right deck platter n cleaned it up a lil... the touch sensitive thin' wasn't working when i put the platter back.. so i unscrewed the left deck platter and exchanged places.. works fine now...
    had a gig today as well.. took my vci and banged it!! the right deck gain was a lil tough to move abt.. guess coz of the stickiness..
    how do i remove the black face plate and clean up the vci 300...
    MBP 13", VCI 300, Itch 2.2, TSP 1.2.4, VCI 400 EGE, TSP 2.6, HD 25

Tech Mentor

What's a dog driving a truck got to do with vci and beer?

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

well mr.raw lets think metaphorically

the dog: maybe being the person drinking the beer
    the lake: being the beer it self

&I think you can figure out what the truck represents...

*lifeloop, make sure not to power it up at all again until it's completely evaporated;
    water based liquid will make the power serge faster & burn it up. best of luck.
    Last edited by LiveFastStephen; 10-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Tech Mentor

Woof!

Tech Guru

haha that dog sucks at driving!

Id recommend reading this thread on protecting your gear and also fixing up spills:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1872

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast