External effects boxes - what are the options?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default External effects boxes - what are the options?

I am looking for a relatively small/simple/cheap effects unit to use with an analogue mixer via it's send/return loop.

Can't seem to find anything out there other than the big/complex/expensive Pioneer stuff or things like the Korg Kaos pads which are more like instruments and are a bit over the top for what I need.

I'm just after something with a range of simple effects like filters, echo, etc.

Cheers, P

Tech Guru

Have a look at guitar pedals that have stereo in/out.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

mini kaoss pad?, it's not really an instrument as you think it is.

the kaoss pad quad is FX based, with no fancy looping or anything like the kp3 + has

you can always find used gear on Craigslist or Ebay.
    Done DJ'ing

If your short on cash I would check eBay/craigslist for a used EFX500, it may be bigger than you wan't but all the effects on it are quite basic and the interface has had a bit of thought put into it making it easy to use. If you can spend a little more get the 1000, the feedback loop is insane fun when mixing minimal/progressive, although it's still available on the 500 but you only have one bar of recording unless you half the bpm.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Sell whatever mixer you're using, and get a Behringer DDM4K, or one of teh NOX series.

They can be had for CHEAP, and the FX on 'em are a lot of fun.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    If your short on cash I would check eBay/craigslist for a used EFX500, it may be bigger than you wan't but all the effects on it are quite basic and the interface has had a bit of thought put into it making it easy to use. If you can spend a little more get the 1000, the feedback loop is insane fun when mixing minimal/progressive, although it's still available on the 500 but you only have one bar of recording unless you half the bpm.
    I still have an EFX-500 knocking about, i agree that the functionality is great, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I've actually seen the EFX-1000 go for stupidly cheap prices on eBay in recent months, the RMX seems to have killed interest in it, despite the fact that the EFX has a few cool features which didn't make it to the RMX; hence why Zabiela uses both together. The sound quality on the EFX-1000 is peachy.

I'd suggest trying to find a cheap used EFX-1000 if you can.

wow, I thought the sound quality would be the same.. I have the 1000 collecting dust and it sound's great. but Yeah I have seen the 500 go for between $80 - $120, more than a few times on eBay.au
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I still have an EFX-500 knocking about, i agree that the functionality is great, but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

I've actually seen the EFX-1000 go for stupidly cheap prices on eBay in recent months, the RMX seems to have killed interest in it, despite the fact that the EFX has a few cool features which didn't make it to the RMX; hence why Zabiela uses both together. The sound quality on the EFX-1000 is peachy.

Now I am hesitant to get a 500 because I did want to buy one for fun.....

e/ There is a little toy called the Behringer Tweakalizer as well, was ok but nothing superb.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Now I am hesitant to get a 500 because I did want to buy one for fun.....
    It's still fun!

If I hadn't seen the 1000 so cheap, so often, recently, I'd say a 500 was worth going for. But the price difference can be so minimal if you're prepared to hold out for a great deal, then the extra is worth it IMO.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Sell whatever mixer you're using, and get a Behringer DDM4K, or one of teh NOX series.
    This is the cheapest option I think, and a good idea.
    However I really love my current mixer (Ecler Nuo) and don't want to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    You are right - checked out eBay and there are bargains to be had on this one.
    However, it's just way too big for what I need. Literally wouldn't be able to fit it into my home setup unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    mini kaoss pad?, it's not really an instrument as you think it is.
    the kaoss pad quad is FX based, with no fancy looping or anything like the kp3 + has
    Have now had a good look into the Kaoss Pad range... I had only seen the more complex ones before so you were right I had the wrong idea about them.
    Think I am gonna pick up either a Mini Mk1 or maybe a Quad - I'll see what I can find cheap on eBay.

Problem solved! Thanks again all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast