Feelings on using Spotify
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Feelings on using Spotify

Now some of you may have used Spotify, maybe some of you haven't. It's basically an online radio and you can make your own playlists of basically any song you can think of.

What do all you think about using it for background music during a gig? Maybe during dinner at a party or reception, or lets say someone must have a song played, you can use spotify to get it or play it real fast. How does everyone else feel about using it? The $10 month premium you can get all the music you want without any commercials.

I don't mean using it for your main music list for the night, but just on those situations like song request, and maybe save some money by using it for a dinner playlist instead of buying all those songs.

Tech Convert

I don't think you may use it, speaking in terms of legal issues. Also to be relying on WiFi in places you don't know? Jikes, I wouldn't.

Tech Guru

I use it for a backup on my phone, only ever had to use it once in two years and it was to cover for someone else's set up dying.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Koen87 View Post
    I don't think you may use it, speaking in terms of legal issues. Also to be relying on WiFi in places you don't know? Jikes, I wouldn't.
    Well technically if you play a song at a gig where someone is paying you, lets say n avicii song, then technically that is illegal because you don't have permision from the record company that owns the music to play it and make money off of it...

But i mean more for just like at dinner, or unless there was a song i forgot to get and someone had to have it played. I wouldn't use it for my main music playlist for the night.

If you pay premium, you can set certain playlists to play "offline" meaning you don't need a wifi connection if you compile a list beforehand...

one bar I gig frequently uses it from when they open until the DJ starts at midnight and for that it seam do be fine. People are there mainly to get social and have some drink before the real party gets going.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Its wicked! I just signed up for premium. Basically I used to not "believe" in it thinking that if I like a song i want to "own" it cause I may want to dj with it. But bottom line is I now listen to far more music without having to worry about buying it and if I like it then I buy it.

It's brilliant, endless fresh music, total revelation for me that.

Totally cool to use it in offline mode for warm up / dinner lists IMO.

Yeah i'm a proper Spotify convert now
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Its wicked! I just signed up for premium. Basically I used to not "believe" in it thinking that if I like a song i want to "own" it cause I may want to dj with it. But bottom line is I now listen to far more music without having to worry about buying it and if I like it then I buy it.

It's brilliant, endless fresh music, total revelation for me that.

Totally cool to use it in offline mode for warm up / dinner lists IMO.

Yeah i'm a proper Spotify convert now
    Genuinely never even used it... I just see it popping up in my news feed and I think "he's really listening to THAT?"
    A few days back I saw a hiphop head I know was listening to R.E.M and I thought "wow, I didn't expect that"... it was kinda cool.

Offline Mode? I thought you had to be online to listen to it... (ignorance showing here).

Maybe I should check it out.

Tech Mentor

This is the problem:
    The Spotify Service and the content provided through it are the property of Spotify or Spotify's licensors, and we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable licence to make personal, non-commercial use of the Spotify Service.
    found in Spotify Terms and Conditions of Use.

I have been using spotify almost everyday for the last 4 years. ofcourse not for djing. Great service for getting to know new music!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast