Traktor z2 or pioneer djm@@@ or s4?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Traktor z2 or pioneer djm@@@ or s4?

Hi all,

I'm looking to improve my home setup. Currently I just use a midi controller (x1 and vcm100) and mix inside traktor but I'm looking to get something that feels a little bit better quality and maybe more like a traditional turntable and mixer set up. That said, I'm not really interested in having a dvs system as this is only something I do for fun at home, although in the future I might like to add a single turntable (for sampling and playback only). I have been considering the following:

- traktor z2 (especially now it's on sale)
    I would use my x1 for transport etc. and I believe it can be used a standalone hardware mixer.

- pioneer djm@@@ (or similar quality mixer)
    Not sure which but something with a built in sound card and midi mapping capabilities. The appeal here is just how solid these mixers feel (I had a traditional set up back in the day) and I guess the flexibility in the future.

- s4
    These look great but I get a slight feeling that they're a bit 'toy' like and obviously it can't act as a standalone mixer for just turntable playback.

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinions.

Peace

Tech Wizard

What is your budget?

Tech Guru

You won't get much of an upgrade in build quality from your VCM with any of NI's hardware.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Juntao: Budget is pretty flexible - $500-1000

Makar1: That's what I'm worried about and why I'm considering the mixer route

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    You won't get much of an upgrade in build quality from your VCM with any of NI's hardware.
    I have a Z2 and its absolutely bombproof. I couldn't support this mixer any more than I already do. If you like a modular type setup buy a Z2 and a second X1 and you have a very proven setup.
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Quote Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
    I have a Z2 and its absolutely bombproof. I couldn't support this mixer any more than I already do. If you like a modular type setup buy a Z2 and a second X1 and you have a very proven setup.
    And now it's $200 off.

Quote Originally Posted by jdownesbaird View Post
    And now it's $200 off.
    This. I was actually lucky enough to find it for $599 CAD about a year ago. Right place at the right time I guess.

Also there really isn't a better feeling than using a stand alone mixer. They just rock. For the price of a Traktor certified DJM mixer you could buy a Z2 and like $1100 worth of beer. (That's real math).
    Lenovo P580 || TSP2 || Traktor Z2 || 2x Audio-Technica AT-LP120 || Pioneer HDJ 1500 || Behringer B212D || http://www.mixcloud.com/Calzonetti/

Tech Wizard

and like $1100 worth of beer. (That's real math).
    I like your math. I'd take that any day.

Tech Guru

For the price of a Traktor certified DJM mixer you could buy a Z2 and like $1100 worth of beer. (That's real math).
    The DJM T1 is at most $100 more than the Z2. If you want a proper standalone mixer and go for an 850 at $1300, that's still only $700 more.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Even with a Z2 all the mixing is done inside Traktor, Its effectivly a controller with DVS capability. The DJM T1 mixes externally and has traktor certification along with very similar functionality to the Z2.
    Parts
    Technics 1210//CDJ400//DDM4000//X1//Audio 10//MBP 15" Mid 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast