Easiest genre to mix
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Tech Guru Lambox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,245

    Default Easiest genre to mix

    This has probably been discussed before. If it has I'm sorry. I did search .

    Anyway, I'm gonna ahead and say that house music (including all of its' subgenres) is by far the easiest to mix. Because for some reason, it lends itself to it. House songs tend to have some kind of basic intro and ending that allow for easy mixing of new songs on top of it.

    You don't see this in, say, dubstep.

    So why is this? Why does house music have this "mix me!" attitude? I'm just curious what people think.

    Disagreements welcome.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

    Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

  2. #2
    Tech Guru jasonj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Prince George, British Columbia
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    This has probably been discussed before. If it has I'm sorry. I did search .

    Anyway, I'm gonna ahead and say that house music (including all of its' subgenres) is by far the easiest to mix. Because for some reason, it lends itself to it. House songs tend to have some kind of basic intro and ending that allow for easy mixing of new songs on top of it.

    You don't see this in, say, dubstep.

    So why is this? Why does house music have this "mix me!" attitude? I'm just curious what people think.

    Disagreements welcome.
    House, trance and techno are for sure the easiest to mix when you start out as they do lend themselves to it. Great to help train your ear in basic rhythm.
    However you will find in time that breaks, DnB and Dubstep will become just as easy. You will not be able to help but pick out the rhythms in each, and think of how you might blend them into other songs.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

  3. #3
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK,Cardiff
    Posts
    194

    Default House

    I have always found house and trance easy to mix on cdj's or decks, really easy, and even more simlpe on a vci-100

    R'n'B/Hip-Hop and D+B needs more attention some times, i suppose it's what ya used to etc.

  4. #4
    Tech Guru TommyQuiet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NorthWest,UK
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    trance is very easy and allways great to start mixing with

    i really wanna mix dubstep and DnB but i dont think i got the skills

    if they are any djs of that style got any tips let me know

  5. #5
    Tech Guru jasonj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Prince George, British Columbia
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CassoIVchoon View Post
    trance is very easy and allways great to start mixing with

    i really wanna mix dubstep and DnB but i dont think i got the skills

    if they are any djs of that style got any tips let me know
    use your highs to match them up. Particularly the snare.
    Usually in those styles the snare is really crisp, clean and clear.
    Easy to pick out, and match up with other similar styles.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CassoIVchoon View Post
    trance is very easy and allways great to start mixing with

    i really wanna mix dubstep and DnB but i dont think i got the skills

    if they are any djs of that style got any tips let me know
    I find Dubstep to be actually pretty easy to mix once you get the hang of it. What I do is once track A gets to it's breakdown I find a song with the same length intro and put it on top of track A.
    Setup: Kontrol S2, Komplete Audio 6, Maschine Mikro Akai LPD 8, Akai Mpk49, Traktor 2, Ableton Suite 8.
    http://soundcloud.com/miishmash

  7. #7
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    pretty much all electronic dance music from house to dubstep, breakbeat to drum and bass is the easiest to mix because for most of the time the songs are designed for dance floors and djs - although some tracks are trickier than others.

    when compared to say hiphop, classic rock, soul etc., all genres of EDM are stupidly easy to mix (with the exception of IDM.)

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonj View Post
    use your highs to match them up. Particularly the snare.
    Usually in those styles the snare is really crisp, clean and clear.
    Easy to pick out, and match up with other similar styles.
    this. in dnb matching the snares usually ensures you're on beat. be sure to EQ your hi-hats though they sound nasty when mixed together sometimes.

    same in dubstep. snare is on beat 3 99% of the time.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

  9. #9
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Honestly, progressive house (Deadmau5, etc.) is extremely easy to mix. If anything it'll teach you how to drop tracks at the proper time(s).

  10. #10
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    id say minimal

    but anything without vocal tracks is going to be easiest. i think thats why people keep bringing up trance
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •