Serato Sync

Thread: Serato Sync

Tech Convert

Default Serato Sync

Hey techtoolers.

I've been dj'ing with Ableton for 5 years now, but recently started playing out with vinyl to a higher and higher degree. I've been looking into buying a DVS, but I'm still unsure if I should go for Serato or Traktor, which leads me to a quick question regarding Serato.

Is it possible, in serato, to use Sync for a song with a drifting tempo? I'd love this feature in Ableton, but it really kills the groove to make an 80's disco track a slave to the master clock. Is it possible in Serato to beatgrid songs and then let them be the master sync? I hope this makes sense to you all.

Best regards.

Tech Guru

If you're looking into using DVS, why do you still need Sync?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

You mean like a song raising consistently from 80BPM at 0:00 to 120BPM at 2:30? Well theoretically it is possible by setting a beat warp marker at every single bar. But there are two problems: The tempo won't increase consitently, but in steps (even though quite small ones) and doing this for a whole song or even a bunch of songs is a lot of work.
    Last edited by tilldrop; 02-11-2014 at 05:57 PM.

The tempo won't increase AT ALL if you warp it. Once you've warped a track, it's tempo is locked, and follows Abletons Master tempo.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Sorry I meant to say (beat) warp marker. ;-) So its done only in Serato - without Ableton.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try and put my question more simple. I'm quite familiar with how ableton warp works. What I'm trying to ask is, if Serato warps in the same way or if the beatgrid is flexible?

My reason for wanting to use DVS and sometimes sync, is so I'd be able to use spin vinyls (and use those as my "controller"), while still maintaining the flexibility when it comes to mashing up tracks with sync.

Tech Mentor

I just dont know how to explain it better... You can set markers for changing BPM in Serato. The calculated BPM between two markers will always be the same. So since you can set unlimited of such markers the only way (I know) is to set a new marker at every beat. That way you still have steps in the BPM, but very small once. I'm not sure though if it sounds that good when synced to another track. Also it is a ton of work and you have to be precise as hell when marking.

Tech Convert

Now I get it, thanks.. That seems like to much work for what might be unusable. I think I'll just stick to ableton and vinyls for now. Thanks for all the feedback.

can you not warp the track in ableton and then just play it through serato?