Anyone use Pure Vinyl Recorder?

Default Anyone use Pure Vinyl Recorder?

Recently I've been looking into ways of ripping my vinyl into iTunes. I have turntables, Audio 10, good needles and rubber mats. Software wise I've been trying to get my head around Pure Vinyl Recorder but can't seem to get a clean rip. With the Vinyl Correction Curve applied it sounds very muffled and bass overloaded. If I turn the Correction off then it's too loud and extra hissy.

Anyone use this software with a similar setup, got any tips?

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Personally I've been using an Audio Technica USB turntable for the occasional bit of digitizing and have gotten relatively good results. I tend to record the input with Logic, but I imagine that Audacity would be equally useful. Never heard of this Pure Vinyl Recorder, but it sounds from your description as though it might be worth turning the volume down if the thing is sounding overloaded, could also be that this program is trying to do some processing on the recording instead of just leaving it 'clean'.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Recently I've been looking into ways of ripping my vinyl into iTunes. I have turntables, Audio 10, good needles and rubber mats. Software wise I've been trying to get my head around Pure Vinyl Recorder but can't seem to get a clean rip. With the Vinyl Correction Curve applied it sounds very muffled and bass overloaded. If I turn the Correction off then it's too loud and extra hissy.

Anyone use this software with a similar setup, got any tips?
    Haven't used this software, but I did have a look at it once. I believe it does have some kind of RIAA curve feature.

As you may know, through the implementation of RIAA, bass is greatly reduced when vinyl is being cut (because it just can't feasibly cut loud bass frequencies), and then it is boosted on playback

This is what the RIAA curve is doing on playback and is doing the opposite during the actual cut.

RIAA-EQ-Curve.png

Sounds like you will have to work out how to switch the curve off, or just use Audacity, which is what I use. I have an OEM direct drive turntable with Ortofon cartridge and an Audio 10 and get some very good results